Self inflicted 'footie' injuries ??

Having played competitive Football at a reasonable level twice a week in the 60's,(+ 5-a-sides), myself and teammates were unaware we had a pair of cruciate ligaments or tendons(hamstring) in/at the back of each knee - but there again upon our Team scoring a goal we never collectively ran as fast as we could and dived on our knees towards our opponents Corner Flag !!

At Football League level it would be interesting to hear the Club Physio's opinion on this stupid celibratory practice or even more so their Club's Insurance Company's take on it ? - contributory negligence is a term they use in the trade I believe - putting it on a par with the 'blades' instead of studs in the soles of some modern day boots.(Nothing to do with S.U.F.C. but Neil Warnock outlawed them at one time - but there again he is a qualified Chiropodist !). Rich in Richmond

Having played competitive Football at a reasonable level twice a week in the 60's,(+ 5-a-sides), myself and teammates were unaware we had a pair of cruciate ligaments or tendons(hamstring) in/at the back of each knee - but there again upon our Team scoring a goal we never collectively ran as fast as we could and dived on our knees towards our opponents Corner Flag !!

At Football League level it would be interesting to hear the Club Physio's opinion on this stupid celibratory practice or even more so their Club's Insurance Company's take on it ? - contributory negligence is a term they use in the trade I believe - putting it on a par with the 'blades' instead of studs in the soles of some modern day boots.(Nothing to do with S.U.F.C. but Neil Warnock outlawed them at one time - but there again he is a qualified Chiropodist !). Rich in Richmond

Good observation there pal :thumbsup:

Didn't Liverpool win the league in the '60's and use only 12 players in 40 odd games? Pitches would vary from proper turf at the start of the season through to mud and rock hard frozen pitches. Biggest stress after scoring was a pat on the back.

Our bodies aren't built to slide 10 + yards on our knees - especially when leaning backwards.

Archived