Private rents unaffordable for families in most English Boroughs

This report said that they considered anyone paying over 33% of their net earnings for rent meant it was unaffordable.

I do not dispute that in parts of the UK where there is a chronic shortage of affordable housing in places such as London there is a real problem, but this figure of 33% is just like the poverty figures used a few days ago. Its not really as bad as they make out.

We would have social housing if people like Bob Crow did not bed block them by refusing to move to accommodation they can well afford, the selfish a hole.

It found it is cheaper to rent in Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham than in north Devon, north Dorset or Herefordshire. In Yorkshire, properties in Bradford and Sheffield are more affordable to rent than in the rural areas of Ryedale and Richmondshire.

Gosh, who'd have thought that? In other news its reported the Pope does his business in the woods and bears are Catholic.

If it were cheap to live in posh rural areas, well they wouldn't be posh and rural anymore would they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15284892

Private rents are now unaffordable in 55% of local authorities in England, the housing charity Shelter has said.

Homes in these areas cost more than 35% of median average local take-home pay - the level considered unaffordable by Shelter's Private Rent Watch report.

The charity said 38% of families with children who rent privately have cut back on buying food to help pay rent.

Housing Minister Grant Shapps said it had curbed red tape "which would have pushed up rents and reduced choice".

Shelter's research found rents had risen at one-and-a-half times the rate of incomes in the 10 years up to 2007.

It is time to bring down rents, it is time to kill off buy to let.

Bring back rent controls, build affordable rented housing.

Forcing somebody to rent for life and pay over the odds ain't "me penshon" it's morally wrong. Money must be diverted away from rent and to the productive economy.

Do you think rent is too high?

Come on chem1st you’re a bit slow this morning it’s just been on the news that Shelter Rent Watch is now agreeing with you.

I had a lie in. A pleasure denied to many due to unaffordable rent. People whom stay up at night worrying over whether or not their parasitic landlord is going to push them over the brink and into homelessness.

Thanks for posting :)

It's time for the people to rise up.

Demand lower rent.

Stop paying if the rents rise, clog up the courts and bankrupt your parasite. Don't let them kill the host!

Rent control is possible I suppose, it works in a lot of places. I doubt that there'd be any economic justification for significantly lowering market rates in most places though, although they could be frozen so they come down over time through inflation.

Come on chem1st you’re a bit slow this morning it’s just been on the news that Shelter Rent Watch is now agreeing with you.

Given that these unaffordable boroughs (with the exception of London) are mainly rural, I wonder what percentage of the population lives in boroughs that are affordable?

Archived