Private rents unaffordable for families in most English Boroughs

Come on chem1st you’re a bit slow this morning it’s just been on the news that Shelter Rent Watch is now agreeing with you.

This isn't news, it's a press release from a pressure group. Shelter make their living out of exaggerating housing problems so they're hardly likely to produce a report saying it's not really an issue are they?

Can't afford to rent where you'd like to live? Tough, welcome to the real world.

Move to somewhere where you can afford to pay the rent. Problem solved.

I had a lie in. A pleasure denied to many due to unaffordable rent. People whom stay up at night worrying over whether or not their parasitic landlord is going to push them over the brink and into homelessness.

Thanks for posting :)

It's time for the people to rise up.

Demand lower rent.

Stop paying if the rents rise, clog up the courts and bankrupt your parasite. Don't let them kill the host!

chem1st, what do you think is reasonable rent?

If rents what private landlords can charge are capped ,then less property would be bought ,as many houses that are sold ,either privatly or by auction are bought by landlords for buy to let .If profit margins that are made through rent are capped ,less houses would be bought ,as it wouldnt be worth it from a profit point of view. So the housing market would slow ,again hurting the economy.

Also ,its supply and demand . I own a couple of houses which i rent out ,one is a family home ,and the other is a dwelling split into 4 for student accomodation . Ive never had a problem renting out my family house ,and its never been stood empty. The demand is out there in sheffield ,and the rent i charge has never caused a problem in attracting a tennent.

Rent is very affordable in and around Sheffield at the moment.

I was looking at some stunning places the other day and, although I can't afford them right now, I was surprised at how easy it would be for a couple on a modest income (even minimum wage) to afford a 4/5 bedroom detached house in a beautiful location west of the city.

You can also negotiate cheaper rent by committing to a longer contract.

If rents what private landlords can charge are capped ,then less property would be bought ,as many houses that are sold ,either privatly or by auction are bought by landlords for buy to let .If profit margins that are made through rent are capped ,less houses would be bought ,as it wouldnt be worth it from a profit point of view. So the housing market would slow ,again hurting the economy.

Reducing the upward pressure on housing and correcting the price making it possible for 1st time buyers to afford houses. In the long run this is a desirable thing.

Rent is very affordable in and around Sheffield at the moment.

I was looking at some stunning places the other day and, although I can't afford them right now, I was surprised at how easy it would be for a couple on a modest income (even minimum wage) to afford a 4/5 bedroom detached house in a beautiful location west of the city.

For example?

I'm not sure what the problem is with private landlords. We currently rent private, unable to afford a mortgage and would have trouble getting a home via the council.

Fair enough, some landlords might be charging high rents but it's a business.

Compared to the house next door that is owned by a housing association which has been rented out for over a year to someone who does not actually live there. Then at least my landlord is providing a home to a family instead of allowing their property to be rented whilst the person lives else-where.

I'm not sure what the problem is with private landlords. We currently rent private, unable to afford a mortgage and would have trouble getting a home via the council.

Fair enough, some landlords might be charging high rents but it's a business.

Compared to the house next door that is owned by a housing association which has been rented out for over a year to someone who does not actually live there. Then at least my landlord is providing a home to a family instead of allowing their property to be rented whilst the person lives else-where.

so do the right thing then and report the fact that they are not living there and let someone who actually needs a house live there

Archived