Private rents unaffordable for families in most English Boroughs

They obviously don't want to play the house / career ladder game and want a 5 bed detached house in Dore immediately on their minimum wage income.

Yes, this report - which purports to document that unrealistically inflated rents are increasingly causing hardship as incomes contract and inflation kicks in - is in reality definitive proof that anyone now having difficulty keeping up with their rent is obviously stupid, spoiled and lazy. No doubt about it.

Don't these people realise that the purpose of their lives is to absorb the financial impact of housing price stagnation on behalf of those landlords who profited vastly doing sod all as their properties doubled and tripled in value over the last decade?

I'm with you and upinwath on this one. It is only fair that these feckless tenants should work harder and except a lower standard of living, so that that the decent people who made loads of money speculating on the property bubble should not have to suffer the cruel injustice of accepting a slight reduction in the incomes they get for their over inflated properties.

The good for nothings who aren't on the property ladder have brought it in on themselves! If they would just use their reduced incomes to stump up the huge deposits now needed, and pay a very reasonable three times more for their house than it was bought for 10 years ago, then they wouldn't have to rent.

Some of these layabouts just don't seem to have any motivation to work hard for years and years in order to pay for the massive gains made by the responsible and industrious heros....no, Gods and Godesses even, who had the foresight to buy houses when they were affordable to all working people, and to put in the hard work involved in scratching their arses while they tripled in value!

Can't afford to rent where you'd like to live? Tough, welcome to the real world.

Move to somewhere where you can afford to pay the rent. Problem solved.

That's fine as long as you are not going to then complain when people haven't got jobs (none too many in the districts with the cheapest housing), do badly at school (best schools are in the more expensive districts) and therefore don't end up 'succeeding' in the conventional sense.

Social mobility seems to be dead in this country. If you're born to a worse-off family in a poorer district then you will probably go to a bad school, have a bad diet, have more overcrowded housing so less quiet space to do school work, have few local role models who work and therefore do worse than those born in wealthier districts. Which I suppose some people think is fine.

chem1st, what do you think is reasonable rent?

That's one of the best questions I've been asked on here.

I'm afraid I can't give a simple answer. Thing have to be taken into account. The land, the dubious ownership of it. The cost of building & upkeep, and the overall need/demand for housing. The amount of land per person and the value of the local currency.

Ideally everyone could have a house to live in at 0/little cost, but that's a long way off.

I suppose we should ask, "what is affordable?".

No point crying about it now if you didn't have that foresight.

Yeah yeah, spilt milk, I'm just jealous etc.

It's sarcasm at the pure smugness. But I can see from your reply that smugness awareness is probably not your strong point either. :hihi:

Yes, they should accept a lower quality of life, because it would be really sad if landlords, after profiting vastly from the ridiculous increases in the value of their properties, should now be expeted to absorb any of the losses now the bubble has burst.

That's business. A man buys a house in the hope of making money from it.

He's not out to provide for some dole scrounger who can't be bothered to earn a living.

That's fine as long as you are not going to then complain when people haven't got jobs (none too many in the districts with the cheapest housing),

That's why commuting came into effect. We don't all live in Albert Square / Coronation Street worlds where we live and work on the same street.

That's why commuting came into effect. We don't all live in Albert Square / Coronation Street worlds where we live and work on the same street.

Yes, I've heard of commuting thanks. The report is talking about entire local authority areas, not just individual towns. For people facing very long commutes the issue is not so much the time taken, though that is an issue, but the cost. Everything is getting much more expensive and for some the choice between high rents and an expensive, lengthy commute is the final nail in the coffin for viable employment.

Archived