DIY question - how to saw 3" fence posts?

I need to saw quite a few 3" x 3" fence posts (75mm x 75mm in new money), mostly at angles to make an arch/arbour thing in the garden

My plan was to get a cheap circular saw as my jigsaw isnt accurate enough (it can do 75mm but not nice and square as the blade flexes) but they all seem to be 65mm or less capacity. Given my need for lots of cuts and some accuracy hand cutting isnt really an option

So does anyone know where I can get a circular saw (or sliding Mitre Saw or some other kit) to do 75mm without spending a fortune (my budget was £50 to £80)

I need to saw quite a few 3" x 3" fence posts (75mm x 75mm in new money), mostly at angles to make an arch/arbour thing in the garden

My plan was to get a cheap circular saw as my jigsaw isnt accurate enough (it can do 75mm but not nice and square as the blade flexes) but they all seem to be 65mm or less capacity. Given my need for lots of cuts and some accuracy hand cutting isnt really an option

So does anyone know where I can get a circular saw (or sliding Mitre Saw or some other kit) to do 75mm without spending a fortune (my budget was £50 to £80)

How many are you cutting because it doesn't take long with a good hand saw.

How many are you cutting because it doesn't take long with a good hand saw.

I agree there, a good quality, short panel saw (new) will go through in under half a minute. A large circular saw tends to be heavy and won't be much quicker. and will require the post to be clamped. A mitre saw would be ok but rather an expensive option?

Have you considered constructing the arch from something like 25mm timber? You could cut (marking from a template), maybe 4 to six pieces (depending on diameter) for each of three layers which you can glue/nail together in a staggered (brickwork style) way, creating a strong structure.

You could easily cut these pieces with a jig saw (or small bandsaw) and neaten the butting joints on an adjustable mitre saw (or bandsaw) :)

Personally, I'd invest in a small bandsaw which you can get for the amount of money you've already mentioned. :)

If you aren't comfortable doing it with a hand saw you will need a decent sized miter saw. A compound, sliding miter saw would make the job easiest. Don't use a cheap one. You are better hiring a good one for the day. Make sure the hire company send one that is big enough to cut through 3" posts on an angle.

Archived