Insurance company nicked my money - can they do this?

My Home Insurance was due for renewal last month, my insurance company sent me a quote to renew with them.

Being triple what I was already paying, I went with someone else. They went ahead and took the money anyway!! Without me signing or giving permission for anything!

Can they do this? Their offices open in 5 minutes so i'll be on the phone... but I want to get my facts right before I do!

Yep - their policy will say that unless you cancel, they assume you accept the renewal quote.

Distance selling regs mean you can cancel within 7 days though, so you should get the cash back, it's just a pain. I had the same argument with an insurer on my car, when they didn't actually send me a quote (although they claim they did).

yes they can, im looking at changing mine in the next two weeks, theres something in your policy that will say its on a automatic renewal unless you cancel the policy,

best thing is to cancel the direct debit and phone them this morning, i doubt you will get any money back you have paid already and they may try and charge you a cancellation charge as its now a new poicy your cancelling.

its not swinton by ny chance is it?

yes they can, im looking at changing mine in the next two weeks, theres something in your policy that will say its on a automatic renewal unless you cancel the policy,

best thing is to cancel the direct debit and phone them this morning, i doubt you will get any money back you have paid already and they may try and charge you a cancellation charge as its now a new poicy your cancelling.

its not swinton by ny chance is it?

No its a company called AIS

Yep - their policy will say that unless you cancel, they assume you accept the renewal quote.

Distance selling regs mean you can cancel within 7 days though, so you should get the cash back, it's just a pain. I had the same argument with an insurer on my car, when they didn't actually send me a quote (although they claim they did).

Absolutley spot on there...

This happened to me last year with my car insurance. They didn't contact me at all, and just simply took the money from my credit card which I had used to pay the year before. In the meantime, I had taken out insurance with another company, and didnt realise the first company had insured me until I checked my credit card account on line. Of course, the entry on line didnt show exactly who the payment was for, so I contacted my credit card company and thought my credit card has been cloned. This caused a lot of hassle, because I had also booked a holiday the same day, and because the credit card account was suspended, the holiday was unpaid (or so they said). I then found that I had 2 lots of car insurance, and two holidays, because the payment had actually gone through when they said it hadnt!

What a nightmare! - and all because the car insurance company simply insured my car without my authority!

I did eventually get all the money back after I kicked up a fuss, and the holiday cost was refunded.

Hi same thing happened to us, SWINTON was the insurance brokers and when we phoned to complain they were very rude and not very helpful.

We got intouch with the insurance ombudsmun and they told us what to do and how to do it, they were brilliant, swinton wernt so rude and unhelpful once they got involved. We quickly got a full refund once we proved we had taken cover out with someone else. Dont give up, you will get a refund in the end x

Dont except the cancellation fee crap either, we were told to pay what we owed in full so we didnt occur any further legal charges etc, but a couple of weeks later we got it all back. Get them involved they were brilliant, dont know telephone number but if you google insurance ombudsmun (spell?) you should find it x

Archived