Insurance company nicked my money - can they do this?

Dont except the cancellation fee crap either, we were told to pay what we owed in full so we didnt occur any further legal charges etc, but a couple of weeks later we got it all back. Get them involved they were brilliant, dont know telephone number but if you google insurance ombudsmun (spell?) you should find it x

Just PM'd you...

Hi Ali, Same happened with us, we we're with homelet and they just decided to take the money anyway! Luckily we got it back as it was in the 14 days 'cancellation period' but I would of argued that we didn't ask for it so why have we been charged? You have to be so careful, and personally I think it's wrong that companies can just take your money if you don't reply!

Just re-read my renewal letter, it actually says:

''If you wish to accept this policy, you need to do nothing, we will automatically do this for you''

Is this legally binding??

It will have been in the original contract/policy you agreed to last year too probably. The same happened to me with the AA, I was annoyed at my own stupidity but they refunded the money when I said the letter got delayed in the post (which was true) and I didn't know the renewal was due.

Obviously insurance will be for a higher value than the AA but it might be work speaking to them anyway and explaining. If you are happy with not telling the whole truth I'm sure you could come up with a story that might convince them if you think they might be reluctant. They may be fair anyway and not try messing you about if you want to cancel.

The onus is on you to cancel the policy, which only takes a quick phone call usually.

The automatic renewal does have a couple of benefits, firstly, you don't have to mess about sourcing insurance if you are happy with the renewal costs and, secondly, if you overlook the fact that your insurance is due for renewal, you won't be left in a situation without any cover.

The onus is on you to cancel the policy, which only takes a quick phone call usually.

The automatic renewal does have a couple of benefits, firstly, you don't have to mess about sourcing insurance if you are happy with the renewal costs and, secondly, if you overlook the fact that your insurance is due for renewal, you won't be left in a situation without any cover.

I see your point. But it is cheeky though. I'm fed up of companies being so sneaky. BT tried it on with me a few months ago, I moved to SKY but BT said I was locked into a contract with them (automatically renewed of course) and wanted £80 to leave.

As it happened I kicked off that much that they dropped it (and actually owed ME money) but what about those people who are not so quick to realise or question things?

Older people maybe. It's those people I feel sorry for, these huge companies take advantage of people in order to make profit.

Its so wrong....

I see your point. But it is cheeky though. I'm fed up of companies being so sneaky. BT tried it on with me a few months ago, I moved to SKY but BT said I was locked into a contract with them (automatically renewed of course) and wanted £80 to leave.

As it happened I kicked off that much that they dropped it (and actually owed ME money) but what about those people who are not so quick to realise or question things?

Older people maybe. It's those people I feel sorry for, these huge companies take advantage of people in order to make profit.

Its so wrong....

Not sure it was sneaky in this case, you said yourself that it stated it in the renewal paperwork you received.

Not sure it was sneaky in this case, you said yourself that it stated it in the renewal paperwork you received.

Ah come on... don't give me that! They are well sneaky!

It's down to me to find my own insurance, not an insurance company to assume I will give them my custom.

In this day and age, people's lives are so busy and fast moving, not to mention the fact that we are in an era where we don't check every grain of detail. That maybe wrong but its a fact and a sign of the times unfortunately.

How many times have you installed new software on you computer or bought something on-line or set up a new account on the web. Do you always read EVERY SINGLE line of the Terms and Conditions before you click 'I agree'.

These companies are cashing in big time!

Ah come on... don't give me that! They are well sneaky!

It's down to me to find my own insurance, not an insurance company to assume I will give them my custom.

In this day and age, people's lives are so busy and fast moving, not to mention the fact that we are in an era where we don't check every grain of detail. That maybe wrong but its a fact and a sign of the times unfortunately.

How many times have you installed new software on you computer or bought something on-line or set up a new account on the web. Do you always read EVERY SINGLE line of the Terms and Conditions before you click 'I agree'.

These companies are cashing in big time!

How is it sneaky? You admitted it was there in black and white. It was your choice to do nothing and not cancel it.

No i don't read every single T&C but if I end up getting caught out by something that is clearly stated in them, it's my own fault, nobody elses.

How is it sneaky? You admitted it was there in black and white. It was your choice to do nothing and not cancel it.

No i don't read every single T&C but if I end up getting caught out by something that is clearly stated in them, it's my own fault, nobody elses.

Oh this could go on all day...

Archived