Union members' attitudes towards their non-union member colleagues.

They wouldn't be getting benefits from the union they would be getting benefits from their employer, the union doesn't pay their wages the employer does.

Thanks for that but you know what I mean, Unions negotiate terms with employers on behalf of there members(and none members?) and sometimes have a littlle victory here and there.

Thanks for that but you know what I mean, Unions negotiate terms with employers on behalf of there members(and none members?) and sometimes have a littlle victory here and there.

You have just pointed out that unions negotiate terms for non members, that’s the unions choice, why is it a problem if a non union members benefits from something the union want to do?

Maybe the union can insist that if the employers give the benefits it as just fought for to the non union members, the union members will go on strike.

Some people just don't want to support an organisation that is militant and left wing - should be their choice.

If an employee of mine joined a union he'd soon be out of a job.

Not at all, he'd lose the job for a different reason. I'd find something - but won't employ a leftie or union-type.

I wouldn't be so sure.

What possible desire would any company have to employ union-minded people, with the potential for awkward attitudes, union meddling and inconvenience in general?

I believe that no employee should ever feel the need for union membership, because they should feel that their employer looks after their best interests and is the one on whom they can depend for support and fairness.

Unions generate anti-establishment Luddite mindsets, and I have no time for that.

And people like you are the reason why Unions are more important than ever..

You miss the point entirely.

Remember what I said: "I believe that no employee should ever feel the need for union membership, because they should feel that their employer looks after their best interests and is the one on whom they can depend for support and fairness".

It’s therefore up to me to provide an environment where an employee has no interest whatsoever in union meddling.

Over the years, I’ve managed many hundreds of people and employed a few myself. I believe in paying people enough for them to feel valued and appreciated, and be secure that they do not have to compare themselves with others on better rates at other firms - that way they have no need to feel resentment and will almost certainly be motivated.

I give more holiday than I am required to, and I’m quite flexible with timekeeping if it helps an individual get on with their lives. If somebody needs an afternoon or morning off for personal reasons, all I ask is that they let me know. It doesn't come off his holiday or sick time, and I know that life is a matter of give and take. I trust people not to take the mickey and by doing that we have mutual respect – they don’t abuse it. As a result, I never have to ask for somebody to give an extra half hour or hour on a rush job, because if we’re busy I get a volunteer to finish a job off without having to ask.

I don't care if somebody is late as long as it's not habit-forming - I sometimes get distracted or caught in traffic too.

If somebody has done a really great job on tricky task or we've had a hard week, I'll make sure there's a bonus, and I do the same at Christmas/holidays. If somebody wants to use facilities to fix his own bike or car, they’re free to use – and I’ll probably provide the parts if it’s something on the shelf with our regular supplier.

Why would somebody working in that environment be interested in union membership?

Why would his employees need a union, he sounds like a good employer.

Why would his employees need a union, he sounds like a good employer.

Banjodeano chose to ignore that particular post :roll:

If he is such a kind and caring employer, why does he feel the need to break the law by sacking anyone who joins a union.? :huh::huh:

Archived