Union members' attitudes towards their non-union member colleagues.

Employees in a unionised workplace that have chosen not to join the union are often resented by some of their colleagues that are union members, because the non-union members can of course reep the "benifits" that the union wins for the employees of the company even though they've not paid into the union.

I can understand why this causes some resentment, but isn't this attitude of the union members towards their non-union member colleagues akin to the capitalist approach, in as much as you as an individual get of of life what you put in, so if you dont join the union and pay into it you dont get the benefits of it?

Hmmmm, not my experience in the past. People weren't pressured to join the union or resented in any way for not doing so. Where union members enjoyed gains and non-union members benefitted too we didn't resent them. Far from it, after all the success of the union demonstrated that positives things could be achieved and that was often enough for more people to join. People who didn't want to join didn't. It wasn't an issue at all.

Is your post your own direct experience or just what you imagine would happen?

The latter.

Ok, in my experience I've not seen that happen. Not saying it wouldn't. People have to go with what is best for them. Some people at our place just didn't want to join for for a whole variety of reasons. It was about a 60/40 split eventually. In some cases people did better not being in - the employer had the option to reward them in different ways (ad hoc rises, bonuses, meals out) but the majority of people preferred an annual collectively negotiatated pay rise. I never saw any animosity in the workplace between memebers and non-members. I think we've moved on a lot from the dark 1970s days to be honest.

Going back a few years ago,our Union rep advised us to take a measly pay rise offer(even though the company had made millions that year) The offer was eventually accepted. A month after the union rep had been given a very plush office,with nice plants and piccy of family on the wall! lol If she hadn't been bought by the company big-wigs....i will chew my gonads.

Archived