Who made your suits in the 60s

old tup

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2023 at 10:01, crookesey said:

Actually it’s “Which way do you dress sir”?

Not in a tailors shop but 'Anything for the weekend sir?' usually baffled me in barber's shops when I was about sixteen.

On 13/07/2023 at 15:01, crookesey said:

Actually it’s “Which way do you dress sir”?

You're right Crookesey.

Mr. Duffems used to work for Jackson the Tailor in the 60's, the one on Fargate and also on the Moor, it was always "Which way do you dress sir?".

All the staff were referred to as "Mr" and,as customer walked through the door, the manager would say to the relevant staff member "Forward Mr.Smith" etc. to greet the customer, like Grace Brothers!

The staff had to learn about cloths, cutting, measuring, fitting even how to wrap the goods in brown paper with string, it was an art.

Looking back at our wedding photo of June 1970 all the men are wearing a suit from Jackson's!

REgards,

Duffems

1 minute ago, DUFFEMS said:

You're right Crookesey.

Mr. Duffems used to work for Jackson the Tailor in the 60's, the one on Fargate and also on the Moor, it was always "Which way do you dress sir?".

All the staff were referred to as "Mr" and,as customer walked through the door, the manager would say to the relevant staff member "Forward Mr.Smith" etc. to greet the customer, like Grace Brothers!

The staff had to learn about cloths, cutting, measuring, fitting even how to wrap the goods in brown paper with string, it was an art.

Looking back at our wedding photo of June 1970 all the men are wearing a suit from Jackson's!

REgards,

Duffems

Spent a full Saturday in 1967 going round all the tailor's for mi wedding suit.

Gosh, there was loads of them.

Finished up with one from John Collier.  Unlike the bricklayers, I couldn't afford a "Barney's"

• Like 2

I knew a Taylor called Tommy Machin, he had Bert Rhodes on Heely bottom and then the tailors on Hillsborough.

He used to do home visits and once when I went with him he was measuring a Hump backed man in his home and he said, "I'll have to charge you extra for the paunch sir".

I couldn't get out of that house fast enough.

😭😭😭😭.

Edited by Alextopman

11 hours ago, Padders said:

Spent a full Saturday in 1967 going round all the tailor's for mi wedding suit.

Gosh, there was loads of them.

Finished up with one from John Collier.  Unlike the bricklayers, I couldn't afford a "Barney's"

We can't afford a cockatoo , or African grey , or Macaw red or blue , or a yellow fronted Amazon not even a little Senegal green .

5 hours ago, cuttsie said:

We can't afford a cockatoo , or African grey , or Macaw red or blue , or a yellow fronted Amazon not even a little Senegal green .

Not to mention a budgie ger ar 

Edited by cuttsie
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Not to mention a budgie get at 

Did you get a Budgie jacket like Adam Faiths?.

We could afford the odd Chicken but it didn't get past the Monday fry up with what was left after Sunday dinner.