Bring back proper apprenticeships and get youth working

The problem is the wages.

Young people don't want to work for their minimum wage (who would?) which is:

the 18-20 rate £4.98/hour

the 16-17 rate £3.68

Apprentice rate, – £2.60. for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship are £2.60. An apprentice means the firm has to devote a certain time to training the worker. Traditionally apprentices get lower pay to compensate firm cost of training them.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to work outdoors in all weathers for, say, £3.68/hour. And, yes, of course we can pay more. But we've found that by the time we've increased the rate of pay to a level that feels 'fair' for a day in the cold humping bricks, mixing mortar and general hard work, we're up to a rate of pay that means we get experienced labourers applying for the jobs.

People say that they're desperate for a job, any job, but obviously they expect to be paid reasonably for that job. Unfortunately, with the economy in the state it is at the moment, it means that the employer can engage experienced people for the same rate.

I don't know what the answer is. :(

Great post/thread. The problem is we vote for people that want 3 million unemployed and 1 million illegals and at least 5 million uneducated immigrants. Why?

So the rest of us will work for pennys with no pension.

We are also conditioned to think its racist to talk about it and those out of work are lazy.

It seems you need an apprenticeship in abiding by the rules of the Sheffield Forum.

When I an apprentice i worked for a minimum wage it wasn't fantastic but that was the rate and you got all the **** jobs that went with it until you completed your apprenticeship, THEN you went on to the same rate as other qualified people .There is nothing wrong with minimum wage it's there so that even unqualified people get a fair wage .If they want more, either work more hours or GET proper training and qualifications ,the trouble is a lot of people want the money DON'T want the work.I think what i'm saying they should get of there ARSE stop moaning, and do something about it.

With access to land for industry I could build a factory and provide a hell of a lot of employment, employment taking into account both production and the benefit-tax system.

But the workers would need access to land for housing!

16, 24 or 30 hour shifts for mothers, full time work with overtime for men, casual work for student/carers/retired.

Workers, consumers and society as a whole would be better off.

Ain't going to happen though, not in this country. Think I'll bail out and emigrate, F the UK. I'm widening my emigration options, when my family have gone, I'll have little reason to stay here.

Archived