How do I convince my boyfriend that he should learn to drive?

Couldn't you pop some L plates on and let him have a go with you as instructor? You'd have to put him on your insurance, not sure how much that would be, but it would give him a taster and cut down on the number of lessons he'd need.

Having a driving license gives you options. He doesn't HAVE to use it, but it's there if he needs it, maybe for future jobs, perhaps if you moved out to the sticks, or (as you mentioned) if you have kids. Why not learn now, when there's no pressing need? You don't suddenly have to buy a second car and all the expense that comes with it, it just means he can share the responsibility of driving when the need arises.

I kind of look at it as shirking responsibility. He sees no need to drive as you do it. If you are happy to, then no problem, but will you always see it this way?

Driving is useful and can be fun, but can also be part of the long list of domestic chores, if it's necessary in your household. Would you feel the same if he felt there was no need to do the washing, put the bins out, mop the floor etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived