Would love to hear peoples memories of sheffield markets in the 50s and 60s

Hi,stunmon, nice to know you.I worked for a while around 1956,for Ron Boler, barrowing off,(loading retailers vehicles with goods).Besides Ron,there was a salesman,by the name of chris?,two lorry drivers,bill and george,who drove s-type bedfords.Later i worked for b&c dairies on broughton lane,with a man about 50, whose name was Horice,and he lived on Stanhope road at intake-a mad keen fisherman.He was number one man,but never lerned to drive,so i was employed as his instructor mainly,to get him through the test as soon as possible,because his route only needed one man,as delivery's were all downtown before the rush started,-shops,cafes,offices and the main place-The Norfolk Market Hall,where every morning we would return around 9-30 for a free breakfast at Tennents(which i believe is still there)mr tennent was a forman at the dairy,and Horace being a close friend, put it on to him,that the cafe was for sale.Wonderful,wonderful memories in my life,of kind and friendly people.eightlegger.P.S my cousin David Shaw worked a few years later as a mechanic,at the dairy on Broughton lane.

I don't know about the 50-60's, in the 30's there was a pet shop that had monkeys in a cage. I remember my Mam taking me up some rickety stairs with those metal advertising boards. We used to have pie & gravy. There were shops selling loose biscuits from the tins which were displayed.

I remember going to the old rag and tag market with my nannan on Saturdays it I had been good she let me go on those big shiny scales just inside, it was like sitting on a swinging throne, I loved it.

There was a man (Edwards I think) who used to sell pottery, tea services ect and he used to throw them from arm to arm and in baskets without breaking any we would watch him for ages just to see if he did drop one, but I never saw him do so.

Just outside there was a pet shop where my dad bought me my very first pet, a green budgie called Sparky. I had been seriously ill with a collapsed lung and had been told by the hospital to stay away from pet hair and I had always wanted a cat but no go on that. One day after a trip to the chest clinic on Queens Road my x rays had been okay and my dad said I could have a budgie seeing as I couldn't have a kitten. I can remember that day as though it were last week and my dad has been dead 33 years.

The market was always noisy lads pushing barrows shouting "mind yer backs there ladies" and different stall holders calling out their prices and tempting you to buy with "These ribbons would look lovely in the little lass's hair missus" or "why not treat your mister with this luvvy". It was a magical place to an 8 year old girl.

For me has to be the smells of the Castle Market.

Was one of the places we headed for when we were allowed to go into town 'on our own' (Woolies was the other place)

Walking past Simmonites Flower stall with the heady smell of the chrysanthemums - the fruit and veg stalls before going down the steps to the meat and fish market - and then that place hit your senses.

Ever since I was a kid used to go into the fish market with my nan - she used to buy tripe, and chicklings and bag - and then a plate of cockels or whelks, and sometimes a dripping breadcake, but I cannot remember which stall we got that from - but from those early days cemented my love of fresh food

When I was a bit older i used to stand outside the toy shop that was on waingate near one of the market entrances - coming up christmas they had the most wonderful toys in the window

I was a bout 7, it was freezing cold and there was slush between the stalls where snow had slid off the canvas awnings. For whatever reason, I had my legs slapped by my Mum. I just remember the warm glow. They were back in the days when parents could discipline their kids for dawdling or not taking your thumb out of your mouth. They don't get disciplined for nicking cars these days.

When I was about 15 my mum came home from town and said to me "I've got you a Saturday job" I didn't even know I wanted one! It turned out to be in Brookes Tea Rooms, the one in the bottom corner of the fish market, opposite Bells Fruit stall.

It was know for its pie, peas and gravy. each night before we left we would leave huges metal pans of dried peas "steeping" with bicarb ready for cooking the next day.

I worked from 8.30 am to 5pm and gor £1.50 a day and thought I was the bees knees having all that money to spend and having earned it myself.

Working at C&A's, me and my friends used to go for a walk down to the market in our lunch breaks.....I remember the market lads who flirted with us and chatted us up.....this was about 57/58 and we were 15 years old.........Ahhh yes, I remember it well.........

Archived