Would love to hear peoples memories of sheffield markets in the 50s and 60s

Working at C&A's, me and my friends used to go for a walk down to the market in our lunch breaks.....I remember the market lads who flirted with us and chatted us up.....this was about 57/58 and we were 15 years old.........Ahhh yes, I remember it well.........

Yes we all went to work at an early age didn't we Joan, I thought i was so grown up at 15..well we were back then.

When I was about 15 my mum came home from town and said to me "I've got you a Saturday job" I didn't even know I wanted one! It turned out to be in Brookes Tea Rooms, the one in the bottom corner of the fish market, opposite Bells Fruit stall.

It was know for its pie, peas and gravy. each night before we left we would leave huges metal pans of dried peas "steeping" with bicarb ready for cooking the next day.

I worked from 8.30 am to 5pm and gor £1.50 a day and thought I was the bees knees having all that money to spend and having earned it myself.

hello curriechick;my late wife worked there also up until 2000 i think an indian

man was running it at the time and its fate was uncertain so my wife left to go and work for sheffield council.

Working at C&A's, me and my friends used to go for a walk down to the market in our lunch breaks.....I remember the market lads who flirted with us and chatted us up.....this was about 57/58 and we were 15 years old.........Ahhh yes, I remember it well.........

it couldn:t have been me chatting you up joan as i only started work in 1960

as a barrowboy/fruit porter pulling that barrow loaded high with fruit and veg

through all the rush hour traffic around the old castlefolds fruit market as it was

known then but i did my fair share of chatting up and ended up marrying a lovely girl also named joan who sadly passed away in2006.a lot of the market

lads met their future wives there;it was great working in that environment in

that era lol.

I remember every Saturday me and my friend Margaret would go to town, we were about 14 at the time. First we'd head into castle market, she would swipe mussels off the little saucers as she passed, I was too chicken. Then we'd go in Woolworths and have a drink, once she persuaded me to buy a ginger ale, yuck I've never touched the stuff since. One time we went upstairs in Woolworths and bought some bubbles to blow. Do you remember they had a balcony? we went on it to blow our bubbles, everyone was looking up wondering where they were coming from, was that ever fun. :hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a mate at one of the butchers shops. I would stand there and give him this long order, enough for my wife and I for a week. Then I would give him a pound note and he would give me some change. About nineteen shillings actually.

thanks Al. :hihi:

worked at Tennants brewery in the warehouse and always went for lunch in Hansons cafe upstairs on a friday. Me and my mate would walk from the brewery in our brown bib and brace overalls and chat the waitresses up. 16/17 at the time early 60s.

Who remembers sheffield markets in the 50s and 60s? I'm sure there are some good stories around.

Hello Stunmon.

I worked on the Castle Market when it was being built.

The Main contractor was Wm Moss and Son from Loughborough.

I remember the bloke who laid all the Terrazo floors and staircase steps his name was Joe Polagreno [Terazzo Joe] when he was mixing his terazzo you were not allowed into his area as he said his method was a secret that had been passed down through generations of his family.

The main ganger man [in charge of the navies] was Jim Quirke who lived up Heeley some where and he was a very hard man who after work would go to a pub on Sharrow Lane called the Cross Guns.

Some times i would go with him and his mate Ted Lawler , after a few pints they would start singing Irish songs and i would think its time for me to go!

The main Agent [boss] on the job was called Bernard Dringe who was a stickler as to getting the job right, to this day i have not seen any spalling of the concrete pillars [cracking and flaking exposing the steel re enforcemant bars] unlike many buildings of that era inc Park Hill.

Bernard asked me one day to get up to the roof and build some spiral steps up the side of the lift shaft he sent Ted Lawler to give me a hand ,the pair of us did not have a clue were to start ,but we built em and they are still there i see them from all angles now as i come into Town and will never forget the last step we put in place at the very top of the Market.

As the Market was about finished i remember the new stallholders moving in and how excited we all were as the Market was proclaimed the finest in England.

One stall holder i remember was called Mrs Jones and she and her son Sam were the first owners of the Tea stall at the top left hand corner of the Market ,this stall is now called Sharrons and after 50 years i still go for a weekly cup of tea there.

In the Fish Market the tea stall in the bottom corner was run by a ex Sheffield United player called Graham Shaw and this was the meeting place for all the Sheffield building trade workers when they were rained of or looking for work.

Some times even today i go out onto the loading bay above the spiral ramp at the back of the Market and think just how important a part this area is in Sheffields history and that people have been trading in this very spot for a thousand years .

Hi Cuttsie. I also worked on Castle Market as an electrician with Wheelers when it was being built around '57 I think it was.

Long after I left England, when I used to go back for a visit, I would sit at the corner cafe with my milky coffee and look up to see all the conduit and trunking I had installed as a 18 year old, still there, and I could almost remember every screw I'd put in.

The old rag n tag was a must on Saturday mornings, my pal bought his pigeons there, and I was fascinated by the man with the magic glass cutter who could make any shape out of a piece of glass with just a swirl of his hand. I bought one, but when I got it home I realised that the glass he was cutting was a special very thin sheet, and it diddn't work well at all on regular window pane glass.

For some reason reminds me of Woolworths pliers. The handle would snap off if you squeezed too hard on them.

Hi Cuttsie. I also worked on Castle Market as an electrician with Wheelers when it was being built around '57 I think it was.

Long after I left England, when I used to go back for a visit, I would sit at the corner cafe with my milky coffee and look up to see all the conduit and trunking I had installed as a 18 year old, still there, and I could almost remember every screw I'd put in.

The old rag n tag was a must on Saturday mornings, my pal bought his pigeons there, and I was fascinated by the man with the magic glass cutter who could make any shape out of a piece of glass with just a swirl of his hand. I bought one, but when I got it home I realised that the glass he was cutting was a special very thin sheet, and it diddn't work well at all on regular window pane glass.

For some reason reminds me of Woolworths pliers. The handle would snap off if you squeezed too hard on them.

So your conduit is screwed to my brick panels a small world eh!

P.S .has any one who uses the market ever looked up at the saw tooth construction of the roof lights. These windows are set into massive concrete support beams that were cast insitu built to last forever!

Archived