Would love to hear peoples memories of sheffield markets in the 50s and 60s

The weekly shop was done in the castle market and when I was too small to see above many of the stalls I had to follow mum around and not leave her side. It was very busy as has already been mentioned and very easy to follow the wrong pair of legs sometimes. Its a shame so many supermarkets have changed lifestyles so much that we are in fear of losing the history of the markets being the hub where many families met every week, sometimes just a nod of the head from another regular made you feel important.You could clothe a family from the choice of shops.Everything from materials to make clothes, buy underwear and coat and shoe shops.

These were all in the same market as the butchers, fishmongers and bakery stalls but on a separate floor. Father Christmas used to visit the market as well. As a family we shopped at Castle Market end of town and this included C & A for school and outdoor clothes. It was really only when I was working myself that I discovered another part of town from the Town hall and then the Moor. Strangely enough I don't remember moaning about going shopping like children do now. Mind you I sometimes find myself moaning when trying to get round supermarkets fighting for space on a isle with loads of trolleys so I sympathise with children in this case.

The weekly shop was done in the castle market and when I was too small to see above many of the stalls I had to follow mum around and not leave her side. It was very busy as has already been mentioned and very easy to follow the wrong pair of legs sometimes. Its a shame so many supermarkets have changed lifestyles so much that we are in fear of losing the history of the markets being the hub where many families met every week, sometimes just a nod of the head from another regular made you feel important.You could clothe a family from the choice of shops.Everything from materials to make clothes, buy underwear and coat and shoe shops.

These were all in the same market as the butchers, fishmongers and bakery stalls but on a separate floor. Father Christmas used to visit the market as well. As a family we shopped at Castle Market end of town and this included C & A for school and outdoor clothes. It was really only when I was working myself that I discovered another part of town from the Town hall and then the Moor. Strangely enough I don't remember moaning about going shopping like children do now. Mind you I sometimes find myself moaning when trying to get round supermarkets fighting for space on a isle with loads of trolleys so I sympathise with children in this case.

My grand kids have been brought up on visits to Meadowhall,Asda, Tesco ,Mcdonalds etc,

The other month i took them on a visit to the Castle Market! They loved it !they had the whole bag of mashings sweats, fish and chips,comics, cheap toys etc etc, the little bit of spendo that they had bought more on that day than they could believe.

The down side is that i can,t get out of the door now without one of em asking are we going to the Market grandad.

In 1969 I did some gardening work for a chap who had a bungalow up at Redmires. He had a stall on the market - think maybe fish - can't remember his name. I helped him out in the market one day. Very busy place I remember. The fellow was about 50 - then, quite short and thin with glasses and usually wore a hat I think. Anyone remember who it might have been?

Working at C&A's, me and my friends used to go for a walk down to the market in our lunch breaks.....I remember the market lads who flirted with us and chatted us up.....this was about 57/58 and we were 15 years old.........Ahhh yes, I remember it well.........

Hi Joan, my late wife worked ay C/As in the late 50s early60s she used to go to the market at lunch time,her name was June Seldon.

Yes we all went to work at an early age didn't we Joan, I thought i was so grown up at 15..well we were back then.

My late wife worked at C/A s in late 50s early 60s she used to go in to Market at lunch time also butchers on King St,where they got chatted up.Her name was JUNE SHELDON, freinds where Jakie,Dorren,Pat,Iris,Janet,thats all I can remwmber.

Archived