Can anyone remember carving Swedes at Halloween/Samhain

Does anyone else remember carving Swedes @ Halloween ? On another forum, someone is trying to find out if this was just a Scottish thing, I told them that I remember doing it in the 60's and 70 - before all the imported American stuff and Pumpkins arrived.

So the question is was it just us (my family) or was it a well known thing to do down here too???.

Yes, turnip lanterns were normal when I was growing up in the Sixties and pumpkins were unheard of. They were something Americans did. I seem to remember my kids having turnips for at least their first few Halloweens in the Eighties.

Then pumpkins were promoted by the supermarkets as obviously a pumpkin can be sold for a lot more profit than a turnip. They also removed turnips from sale in the run up to Halloween to force the transition to pumpkins.

We'd never heard of Samhain either. I'm presuming it's hippie-halloween?

Mid 70s: I can remember the smell of charred Halloween turnip now :D .

I would have been more likely to see a witch flying on her broomstick over Hyde Park than have a candle-lit pumpkin as a nipper in my 70s Sheffield. Pumpkins were impossibly exotic back then, at least in my neck of the woods; I can't recall even seeing them for sale in those pre-supermarket days.

I can't remember seeing pumpkins either Hecate... and we had a shop!

Now I come to think of it, I do recall having a pumpkin for one Halloween before leaving Sheffield, and that must have been in the mid-80s. I've got a vague recollection of making some sort of pumpkin scones and pumpkin jam-type stuff with the scoopings that turned out to be... less than lovely. But certainly Halloweens of the mid and late 70s were decidedly pumpkin-free.

No connection to Scotland here, at least back then, nor Ireland.

Archived