Lettering for a book cover

florence kat

I have re-bound a large book and want to find some way of adding the title in gold (or gold-looking) lettering. Before the days of computers, you used to be able to get letters in black which were attached to a sheet, and you had to pencil over the appropriate letter to release it onto the book or poster. I don't know if gold letters existed.

Is there anything like this available now? Or an equivalent? I want it to look smart.

You can still get rub off lettering (or is it rub on?) You can stamp gold lettering, stamp and emboss (if the cover will take a bit of heat) or consider using different types of gilding leaf which is readily available from craft stores on line.

Thanks Billiethekim, Chez2 and Hecate for help. I went to Hobbycrafts today, and got what I think will fit the bill exactly. All I have to do now is get my lines and spacing aesthetically pleasing - easier said than done!

It's nice to know there's someone out there with an interest.

Florence K

• 3 weeks later...

We tried the stick on letters, but you have to be very able-fingered and good at spacing. It looked alright, but not good enough. Also we wondered whether the letters would fall off.

Eventualy, a friend found something on an internet programme (don't know reference) which gave a very clear lettering on a black background - which we needed - and we printed it off and stuck the wording on. It looked good.

florence kat.

Archived