Watching football in the 1950s

I didn't watch any footy in the 50's as I wasn't born mainly at that time.

I do remember my dad taking me my first game a little after that though and he used to lift me up in the air and pass me over his head to get me to the front where I could see. I wish he hadn't insisted on saying "smack him - pass him on" though. I was black and blue by the time I reached those railings.

I remember the Woody/Currie era well - that was my team for sure. I did go and watch them play Wed as a neutral for my first match actually - and my mind was soon made up.

I am a season ticket holder at the lane and have 2 more for my boys. I didn't get one for the wife because I don't want to encourage her. She asks too many questions during a game when I'm concentrating y'see.

Anyhow, good to see that both Sheffield teams are as bad as each other once again eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Used to watch the blades a lot. Once won a guinea in the "Green-un" when they used to ring faces in a photograph of the crowd. Also remember one game against Sunderland, when the railing collapsed after a crowd surge at the cop end. Watched the game sat on bales of straw on the cricket pitch side.

Remember when the guys used to come around the perimeter of the playing area at half time and throw ice cream bars up to customers stood high up in the Kop at Hillsborough? Can't remember though whether we used to pass the money down to him or throw it down. Had it been the latter, they must have been good catchers. :D

Dad took me to Hillsborough when I was about 3 in 1949. Went to many matches in the 1950s and remembered how exciting it was to see wingers, a centre forward, inside right/left and full backs who never came over the half-way line. Supporters could also swap sides at half-time. Remember the score board at Leppings Lane end?

Archived