School trips and sleeping arrangements

The trip cost over £200 for 4 nights

Im not sure id be happy about it unless id been told before hand. Obviously you werent and so id be pursuing reimbursment of part of the cost.

200 quid for 4 nights is a lot for a kiddie but a real pee take when you consider they were made to share.

From what I can see, the OP hasn't said where they went. 200 quid for 4 nights in Hathersage I would consider excessive unless there were lots of events.

How do you know (for those that have commented on the price) that they haven't just come back from a 4 day skiing holiday in Kitzbuhel?

Sorry for being off topic, but it was my first thought when I read it. My sharing tolerances would perhaps be altered based on where it was, though maybe not at 11.

I have an 11 year old son and as long as he was happy with it i'd be ok with it too, though i'd expect to be made aware of the arrangement from the start.

Only problem i can see is if kids who don't get along are expected to share a bed.

I know when i was that age i'd have dreaded the thought of sleeping with a certain pupil who was prone to wet the bed, there was also an obviously gay lad in our class (one of my best mates actually) and being forced to share a bed with him would have left you open to all sorts of ridicule from the more brain dead pupils.

I know that may sound cruel and homophobic but it's 11 year olds we're talking about here, and that sort of thing can have a massive effect at their age.

Do the people who are saying it's ok, actually have kids now who are 11? Do you know how sophisticated 11 year olds are these days? They don't want to be made to share their beds.

I have one that's been 11 not long back, sophisticated nnnah! Hang ups none at all, he couldn't and still doesn't give a monkey's so long as there's food. Me, I would draw the line if he were forced to do something he didn't want to, other than that, life and growing up is an experience that unfolds, it isn't a master plan to be governed by idiocy.

The vulgarity is in the parents head not the childs.

I have one that's been 11 not long back, sophisticated nnnah! Hang ups none at all, he couldn't and still doesn't give a monkey's so long as there's food. Me, I would draw the line if he were forced to do something he didn't want to, other than that, life and growing up is an experience that unfolds, it isn't a master plan to be governed by idiocy.

The vulgarity is in the parents head not the childs.

It's got sod all to do with vulgarity. It's to do with 11 year olds having the right to sleep in a bed alone, if they so wish.

It's got sod all to do with vulgarity. It's to do with 11 year olds having the right to sleep in a bed alone, if they so wish.

Well if that was there wish and it was denied then the school was in the wrong but as we know very little of the facts at the moment other than the word of a child we'll wait and see. All i'm saying is that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with sharing but, I still maintain that the worry is in the mind of the parent.

Do the people who are saying it's ok, actually have kids now who are 11? Do you know how sophisticated 11 year olds are these days? They don't want to be made to share their beds.

I agree... besides my son (aged 11) wriggles, scratches, squirms and farts all nite long... so if he had to share with anyone else... they'd get Zero sleep! x

What kind of trip was it ……………. There seem to be two camps here, those that want a refund and those that think it’s inappropriate at any price.

At about that age I remember going on a school trip and stopping in a youth hostel ……….. there must have been a dozen if not more beds in one room and both my sons went on trips with the cubs and scouts where there would have been shared tents or dormitories …………. Some people seem to have very vivid imaginations.

Archived