How Did We Manage Without A Fridge??

old tup

Exactly! I never had a turkey until I married. I remember going with my dad to get our first fridge as a wedding anniversary present for my mom though. I started work in 57, so it was sometime after that and I bought a chicken to go in it, out of my own wages......

One thing that has always puzzled me......I always remember whenever dad bought anything like that, he would always ask the assistant, "any discount for cash?".......I remember always feeling embarrassed by it at the time, but later I got to think why? what was the alternative to cash.....credit cards didn't exist then did they so how else would he have paid.:huh:

They bought things "on tick " where they paid weekly for something . My nannan took her card to wig falls every week and paid a little off at a time . She they started asking if she would get anything knocked off for cash , more often than not she did get a reduction .

I can remember skimming off the cream from the top of the milk which was placed in a cleaned out Tate & Lyle tin and when enough had been accumulated it was more often than not my job to shake the tin until butter was made. If I had known then I would have put a couple of ball bearings in the tin as agitators like they do in aerosol paint cans.

• 2 weeks later...
Chicken for xmas, seems strange now that it used to be such a luxury.

--------

HI YA, in the 1940/50s we had all the trimmings on our table and

turkey to, followed by christmas pudding with a silver thrip'ni-bit.

We was only allowed to have one present, well appreciated in them days.

:roll::roll:

We had a marble slab in the pantry of our Council house built in 1960. We also had a thing called a meat safe to put on top of it. Basically a metal box with tiny holes in the front. The only other thing that came as part of the house was a large Burco boiler that was for washing clothes, for some reason parents called this boiler The Copper.

Archived