Vegetarian thai food

craigmason

A word of warning - fish sauce is a major ingredient in most thai dishes - so its well worth checking if it used in the "veggie" dishes as some restaurants take a lax attitude to its use in "veggie" dishes.

As for what is best - depends what you like! I always like green tofu curry.

Some veggies eat fish don't they so might not be an issue?

I would say most Thai dishes are nice, just ask for them to leave the meat out.

Best place I'd say is Patoo on Ecclesall Rd or Thai Puna on London Rd. I had a bad experience at the Travellers involving a fly, i'll not go into it on here but the managements handle of the situation left a lot to be desired and I have never been back.

Now that would really confuse a restaurant. " I'm a pescatarian!"

Well if you're vegetarian - by definition - you dont eat dead animals - including fish. So you confuse them even more to say you're vegetarian and then eat fish. Its a bit like saying you're tee-total but drink vodka...

anyway.. going a bit off topic now...

Thais aren't big vegetarians. Buddhists aren't like Hindus in this way.

many Thais have a 'vegetarian week' once a year when they don't touch meat or fish products, usually around September-October time, this is a Chinese practice they borrowed though.

Thais aren't big vegetarians. Buddhists aren't like Hindus in this way.

many Thais have a 'vegetarian week' once a year when they don't touch meat or fish products, usually around September-October time, this is a Chinese practice they borrowed though.

Exactly - thats why you have to be quiet careful with thai food if you are vegetarian. In most towns you will find one veggie place - but its not a common thing for most beyond the vegetarian week.

Archived