Lottery payouts

I've managed once (only won it the one time!) to get it cashed in a supermarket.

I think you are supposed to be able to cash up to £500 from retailers (don't quote me!).

I found it difficult in the smaller shops because obviously they didn't have enough cash in the till. Ended up going to Asda in Handsworth and they were able to do it.

• 5 years later...

my mum said she won 60 quid and went to the local shop to cash it in and the shopkeeper said he didnt have enough money in the till and to comee back tomorrow so she went to another shop and they said it had already been paid out what the hell has gone on there

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 15:20 ----------

does it show up as paid out when they put it through the terminal

my mum said she won 60 quid and went to the local shop to cash it in and the shopkeeper said he didnt have enough money in the till and to comee back tomorrow so she went to another shop and they said it had already been paid out what the hell has gone on there

Sounds like she's been had by the original shop, or it's a genuine mistake. Go back to the first shop and speak to them about it to see if it's a mistake. Their lottery till should be able to show what has and hasn't been claimed and if they have put it through as 'won' but not paid out then clearly they need to give you the money.

Yes, if it's already been paid out according to the lottery terminal then it won't let another retailer pay it out. My parents ran a shop and we had a lottery machine. If they try to claim ignorance then contact the Lottery people. You should have been given a win receipt that would allow you claim your winnings elsewhere. If they haven't then I strongly suspect they've pocketed the winnings hoping you won't know want to do.

https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/results/how-to-claim#In-store-prizes-important-information

Edited by sgtkate