Will people be arrested for trying to withdraw their currency from the bank

People are being arrested across the pond for trying to withdraw they currency from large banks. The prospect of widescale bank runs are increasing.

How long till they spread here?

And will people be arrested for trying to withdraw their currency?

Link? Message is too short.

I don't know which story Chemist is referring to, but I found these;

http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980587518

People trying to deliberately cause a run on Citibank, who responded by temporarily suspending the availability of accounts (as any bank would). The people in question then starting to protest inside the bank, who sent for police to remove them.

Thoughts? Well, firstly this is a clearly biased anti-corporate website so I'd take the details with a pinch of salt; a better report from a neutral news source might make clear which side was in the right. What is clear, though, is that they were definitely not "arrested for trying to withdraw money."

Also, http://www.thehour.com/story/511594/three-arrested-in-westport-for-trying-to-withdraw-3-600-from-bank

People trying to withdraw large sums without identification - upon their arrest it was found that they were carrying false identification. I don't think Chemist would be supporting an attempted fraud, so I'm guessing the first story is the one he wants to discuss.

CNN might be considered a better source, but only mentions the story briefly:

Earlier, an "Occupy Wall Street" spokesman said police made several arrests outside the LaGuardia Place Citibank in Lower Manhattan, after several protesters tried to enter the bank to withdraw cash and close their accounts. Police, meanwhile, said they made 24 arrests after protesters refused to comply with a bank manager's request for them to leave.

There is no criminal offence of 'trying to withdraw money from the bank', so the answer is no.

To introduce one would need an act of parliament.

The terms and conditions of your account probably do limit cash withdrawals without notice though; this is for practical and logistical reasons. You won't be arrested for trying to withdraw more though, you will just be refused.

I provided you multiple forms of evidence in another thread and you have not bothered to respond. Why should I waste my time providing you with evidence which you ignore.

I've no idea what other thread you're talking about, so I'll have to assume that you're just making this up since you can't provide any evidence.

There is no criminal offence of 'trying to withdraw money from the bank', so the answer is no.

To introduce one would need an act of parliament.

The terms and conditions of your account probably do limit cash withdrawals without notice though; this is for practical and logistical reasons. You won't be arrested for trying to withdraw more though, you will just be refused.

Although if you make a scene and refuse to leave the bank you might be arrested for that.

Indeed, but that's not the same thing as being arrested for trying to withdraw their money from the bank.

It wouldn't prevent anti-corporate viewpoints from presenting the story as that, though. "I went to withdraw my money and the bank refused for no reason, I insisted that they perform their duty, and got arrested. Fascism! Fascism!"

Whether you believe the request to leave, and consequent arrest, were justified or not would depend largely on whether you believe the bank's reasons for declining service were justified. If my bank refused to let me have money for no good reason, you can be darned sure I'm not going to turn round and leave just because they ask me to.

Archived