Will people be arrested for trying to withdraw their currency from the bank

Whether you believe the request to leave, and consequent arrest, were justified or not would depend largely on whether you believe the bank's reasons for declining service were justified. If my bank refused to let me have money for no good reason, you can be darned sure I'm not going to turn round and leave just because they ask me to.

A bank would only refuse to let you have money with a valid reason. Of course, we don't have that much cash in the branch is a perfectly valid, all be it annoying reason.

they need to change the rules making it easier to get paid or recive benefits without a bank account.

Why do they?

Banks would love to get rid of all those silly 'basic' accounts which cost the bank a fortune to run and make no profit in return. But the (Labour) government wanted to pay peoples benefits into their bank accounts so they could close down the Post Offices.

A bank would only refuse to let you have money with a valid reason. Of course, we don't have that much cash in the branch is a perfectly valid, all be it annoying reason.

I'll give you that. The anti-corporate, send-all-bankers-to-jail brigade probably won't, but I was considering it only in hypothetical terms.

Why do they?

Banks would love to get rid of all those silly 'basic' accounts which cost the bank a fortune to run and make no profit in return. But the (Labour) government wanted to pay peoples benefits into their bank accounts so they could close down the Post Offices.

why? because you shouldn't NEED to have a bank account in order to be employed

True but you need a bank account to get paid.

How do you think it happens?

No legitimate employers pay cash and without a bank account to pay a cheque into you would have to use a cheque cashing service and lose a percentage of your wage.

Large employers will no doubt insist on bank transfer as they will have to deal with huge payrolls and expect everyone to have an account. I certainly would be suspicious if an employee of mine was funny about having a bank account open.

True but you need a bank account to get paid.

How do you think it happens?

No legitimate employers pay cash and without a bank account to pay a cheque into you would have to use a cheque cashing service and lose a percentage of your wage.

Large employers will no doubt insist on bank transfer as they will have to deal with huge payrolls and expect everyone to have an account. I certainly would be suspicious if an employee of mine was funny about having a bank account open.

But this is largely a circular argument. The reason you must have a bank account is because people would be suspicious if you didn't want one; and the only reason people would be suspicious if you didn't want one, is because everyone must have one.

What about declining an electronic transfer? What do you think would be a valid reason for the bank doing that?

Remember, the capital reserve of a bank is not just held in physical cash although a portion of it is. The failure of a bank would not just be caused by people not being able to get cash out of ATMs. The time to worry would be when they close the phone service & online banking down, and pull the shutters down on the branches.

That said, banks running out of cash in branches would precipitate a panic. Although you talk about it as if it's an entirely reasonable thing to expect. No bank ever wants to be in that position.

Archived