Internet at McDonalds

McDonalds have signed a deal with BT which will bring the internet into many of its restaurants in the UK. It's believed that the majority of these will be the 'Drive Thru' and flagship sites that attract a high volume of business travellers.

What do people think of this? Is it a service that you would use?

It seems to me that this joint venture is a clever marketing strategy that could reinvigorate both companies fortunes as they have seen sales growth deteriorate from increased competition.

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/story.jsp?story=479035

I've been to a few McDonalds where I certainly wouldn't fancy getting my laptop out - it would be gone before I reached for the "on" button :P

On a more serious note (although I think the one above is valid - McDonalds doesn't always attract the greatest of crowds) the cost of Wi-Fi is still pretty expensive. I've looked in-to using it when in London but it works out a lot cheaper to take your laptop in to an internet cafe. They really need to review the prices - even for businesses it's quite extravagant at the moment.

Originally posted by Geoff

On a more serious note (although I think the one above is valid - McDonalds doesn't always attract the greatest of crowds) the cost of Wi-Fi is still pretty expensive. I've looked in-to using it when in London but it works out a lot cheaper to take your laptop in to an internet cafe. They really need to review the prices - even for businesses it's quite extravagant at the moment.

I think it will drop in time, the problem at the moment as I see it is that it is a new technology that will usually require a third party company to install, all for the benefit of a few customers that have wifi laptops. As Wifi becomes more of a standard in laptops, installation becomes cheaper and easier, and more premises have wifi meaning more competition, I'm sure the cost will reduce. In fact, I reckon before long you get coffee shops with free wifi, as it will be so cheap to run that the cost will be covered by the business it brings in.

If you do use WiFi in McD's, remember to take your WiFi Spray with you.;)

These places are geared to getting you out as soon as possible. Unconfortable fixed plastic seats, bright lighting and garish colours. I can't see city centre McD's having much use of this. Maybe the drive-thru ones where there's nowhere else to go will get passing sales reps etc using the service.

Why would you want to go on the net at macdonalds? it takes about 3 minutes to eat a typical meal there (should you actually want to) and the atmosphere isnt exactly somewhere youd choose to be (unless you like crappy music, greasy assistants and annoying kids) Youre better off just getting a drive through and eating it whilst in the comfort of your own home.

That said, i wouldnt eat their awful food if you paid me. Is there anyone out there who doesnt check their burger for spit before they eat it?

Archived