The age to play the lottery should be raised to 18.

But you're not, you cant sign up at all. Your parents can sign up for you..

Yes you can, you just have to get the ok off your parents. So at 16 you are deemed old enough to join the Army.

Your parents don't enlist you, you do that. It's just as i said your parents have to give the ok as well. Your parents don't go down to the careers office and sign you up and thats it your sign up regardless.

You can get married at 16 and legally have kids at that age. How is buying a lottery ticket more serious an issue than that? It's largely for charity so who cares?

But if you don't have any kids your only entitled to enough housing benefit for a 1bed flat when your 35. At which point your 32 year old neighbour is a grandma, and all of the partialy privatised council properties have been taken...

Does adulthood begin at 16? 18? 35?

Should we be allowing children to gamble and pay tax? They aren't allowed to work night shifts till they are 18 and are encouraged to stay in education past 18...

But if you don't have any kids your only entitled to enough housing benefit for a 1bed flat when your 35. At which point your 32 year old neighbour is a grandma, and all of the partialy privatised council properties have been taken...

Does adulthood begin at 16? 18? 35?

Should we be allowing children to gamble and pay tax? They aren't allowed to work night shifts till they are 18 and are encouraged to stay in education past 18...

Ever heard of working for a living then you could afford a house?

You can get married at 16 and legally have kids at that age. How is buying a lottery ticket more serious an issue than that?

Within context most age laws look silly. There are teenage boys who are fathers who can't legally watch an 18 film at the cinema.

I'd agree with the orginal point though. If one can only gamble aged 18+, and the lottery is gambling, then one can only play the lottery aged 18+. No reason why it is "better gambling" than any other form.

Yes you can, you just have to get the ok off your Mum & Dad. So at 16 you are deemed old enough to join the Army.

Your parents don't enlist you, you do that. It's just as i said your Mum & Dad have to give the ok as well. Your parents don't go down to the careers office and sign you up and thats it your sign up regardless.

I'm sorry you're wrong, the parents do need to sign for a 16 year old to join the armed services..

Yes at 16 you can join the Army with your parents permission, they effectively hand over guardianship to the Army.

The point being you're still classed as a minor, and don't have the legal standing to agree to join the armed services..

That's a bit nit picky isn't it since the parents won't be being the soldier in their place

Nitpicky or not, it's a fact that a 16 year old can not 'sign up' and in a thread that appears to be discussing the rights gained by reaching the age of majority it's an entirely relevent point.

If he want's to make an innacurate statement then backpedal that's his prerogative.. I guess you can do that at any age ;)

But if you don't have any kids your only entitled to enough housing benefit for a 1bed flat when your 35.

Could you quote a reliable source for that. In fact, don't bother. You're talking rubbish. I know loads of people without kids in their 20s on housing benefit for a 1 bedroom flat.

I'd agree with the orginal point though. If one can only gamble aged 18+, and the lottery is gambling, then one can only play the lottery aged 18+. No reason why it is "better gambling" than any other form.

The main difference is the benefit that charities get from the lottery.

Within context most age laws look silly. There are teenage boys who are fathers who can't legally watch an 18 film at the cinema.

But the lottery isn't gambling. That's like saying buying a raffle ticket is gambling.

Archived