The age to play the lottery should be raised to 18.

Ever heard of working for a living then you could afford a house?

Unfortunately this is not the 1960s. My generation has been shafted, and house prices and the cost of putting a roof over one's head is now ridiculous.

Besides, there's no jobs because people from the previous generation didn't invest in productive business. Too many of them speculated on property.

Could you quote a reliable source for that. In fact, don't bother. You're talking rubbish. I know loads of people without kids in their 20s on housing benefit for a 1 bedroom flat.

I am referring to the changes due to come into force on January 1st 2012.

I'm sorry you're wrong, your parents do need to sign for a 16 year old to join the armed services..

Yes at 16 you can join the Army with your parents permission, they effectively hand over guardianship to the Army.

The point being you're still classed as a minor, and don't have the legal standing to agree to join the armed services..

Nitpicky or not, it's a fact that a 16 year old can not 'sign up' and in a thread that appears to be discussing the rights gained by reaching the age of majority it's an entirely relevent point.

If he want's to make an innacurate statement then backpedal that's his prerogative.. I guess you can do that at any age ;)

Yes but it's not your parents that sign you up. You sign up at 16 with your parents consent. They may have to sign a few forms but they don't sign you up.

Saying your parents sign you up, sounds as thought your parnets can just enlist you and off you go with no say at all in it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926

Who isn't eligible

You can't usually get Housing Benefit if:

you have savings of over £16,000, unless you are getting the 'guarantee credit' of Pension Credit

you live in the home of a close relative

you're a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children)

you're an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK

Other restrictions

If you live with a partner or civil partner only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

If you're single and aged under 25 you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or one room in shared accommodation.

From Direct.gov website. Nothing about over 35s here.

Come on Chem1st. I know you normally spout rubbish without facts but I thought housing was supposed to be your speciality.

As for the Lottery. I personally do think it should be raised to 18 along with all other forms of gambling.

I am referring to the changes due to come into force on January 1st 2012.

Funny, you never said that in your previous post.

Oh by the way, isnt it amazing how a thread you started about the legal age of buying a lottery ticket decended into yet another one of your moans about the cost of housing.

Yes but it's not your parents that sign you up. You sign up at 16 with your parents consent. They may have to sign a few forms but they don't sign you up.

Saying your parents sign you up, sounds as thought your parnets can just enlist you and off you go with no say at all in it.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm looking at from the point of view of being an ex serviceman myself.. the act of 'signing up' is the actual act of signing the dotted line on the enlistment/attestation papers, something the 16 year old can't do..

Unfortunately this is not the 1960s. My generation has been shafted, and house prices and the cost of putting a roof over one's head is now ridiculous.

Besides, there's no jobs because people from the previous generation didn't invest in productive business. Too many of them speculated on property.

What a load of rubbish. The state we're in at the moment is down to bad government from all parties

Archived