The age to play the lottery should be raised to 18.

Unfortunately this is not the 1960s. My generation has been shafted, and house prices and the cost of putting a roof over one's head is now ridiculous.

Besides, there's no jobs because people from the previous generation didn't invest in productive business. Too many of them speculated on property.

This a regular sentiment you express, what age range do you class as "your generation"

I'd rather this one stayed about gambling to be honest.

err, you were the one who brought housing into it, stay off the weed it obviously kills the memory

If raffle tickets and lottery tickets are gambling, why can you buy them before you're 18?

There is no if about it my friend. They are gambling, for the reason I have explained; that one risks a stake for the chance to win a prize bigger than the stake.

I can only guess at the reasons, but some gambling is seen as gambling-lite, bingo being another example. It is gambling, but it isn't really doing any harm, and thus has a seperate morality about it.

It's interesting though, is it not? We'd let someone at 16 buy as many lottery tickets as he likes, but not allow him to put a single penny in a fruit machine.

This a regular sentiment you express, what age range do you class as "your generation"

The people denied access to affordable housing based upon age, born from the 1970s onwards. It's not a perfect band, as many older people are also denied access to affordable housing.

err, you were the one who brought housing into it, stay off the weed it obviously kills the memory

Housing represents the most extreme form of childification of adults. (34 years olds soon to be tret like children). It was used as an example. The opposite end of the spectrum would be the adultification of children, for example children's push up bras.

It's interesting though, is it not? We'd let someone at 16 buy as many lottery tickets as he likes, but not allow him to put a single penny in a fruit machine.

If that's the case, why are the amusement arcades at the sea sides always full of kids - there are some age restricted machines - presumably based on the potential maximum prize, but no obvious age restriction on most of them

& if you can legally drive a car at 17 why should you have to wait another year to buy a lottery ticket to enable you to pay for the insurance?

& if you can legally drive a car at 17 why should you have to wait another year to buy a lottery ticket

Re Fruit machines; you are correct. I shall rephrase:

We'd let someone at 16 buy as many lottery tickets as he likes, but not allow him to put a single penny in a fruit machine that pays out £10 or more

Re Driving; You've made a non-sequitur. The two things aren't related.

I said it earlier though, age laws are silly. We're forced into a Sorites Pardox; A day under 18 is bad, the day we turn 18 is good.

I'm not really making any point here, other than the lottery is gambling. I don't really think that it should be illegal for under 18s. I'm just questioning why we have this dual attitude towards gambling.

Re Fruit machines; you are correct. I shall rephrase:

We'd let someone at 16 buy as many lottery tickets as he likes, but not allow him to put a single penny in a fruit machine that pays out £10 or more

Re Driving; You've made a non-sequitur. The two things aren't related.

I said it earlier though, age laws are silly. We're forced into a Sorites Pardox; A day under 18 is bad, the day we turn 18 is good.

I'm not really making any point here, other than the lottery is gambling. I don't really think that it should be illegal for under 18s. I'm just questioning why we have this dual attitude towards gambling.

It wasn't a non-sequitur, it was a feeble attempt at humour - the link wasn't the age at which you could buy a lottery ticket it was an inference that you need a lottery win to afford to pay for the insurance

The people denied access to affordable housing based upon age, born from the 1970s onwards. It's not a perfect band, as many older people are also denied access to affordable housing.

So I am of "your generation" then (the username does not relate to year of birth), I can afford housing, as can my friends/colleagues and tbh i cant think of anyone i know socially who is unable to find suitable housing within their financial reach. This whole "robbed generation" thing isnt really as widespread

as you like to think it is, its really quite insulting to the previous generation

Archived