Smacking of children by parents to be banned..

I have just been listening to a very interesting discussion on Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show about the proposed prosecution of parents in Wales caught giving any form of 'slapping' to their children as a means of discipline.

There seems to be a huge divide between opinions, some say that slapping is the only real way to make a naughty child behave, others say that it is teaching a child that it is ok to hit someone if they don't do as you wish.

Tricky one isn't it, what are your views on the matter? Should the same law be enforced in England?:)

I think the Welsh Assembly stop trying to tell parents how to be parents. There is already criminal law to presucute parents that beat their children, as opposed to just giving them a slap as chastisement, so a law to criminalise good parents that wish to discipline their children is unnecessary imo.

This another one of those issues where the ground swell of public opinion in favour of a ban just isn't there; on who's behalf is this being brought in?? it is the minority handwringing left, most of whom probably dont have kids, that scarily want to take away the responsibilty of both nurchuring and disciplining of children away from parents and to the state.

Labour have always been on a mission to destroy the traditional family and values.

it is the minority handwringing left

It's a Kantian argument, nothing to do with left or right. No need to even bring politics into it.

A cross-party group
of assembly members will call for a legal defence of "legal chastisement" to be removed.

The Welsh government said it wanted to make physical punishment unacceptable by promoting "positive alternatives".

I get real tired of party politics on here. It ain't half dull.

There's better alternatives to smacking, kids that are smacked constantly, become immuned to it and 'tough'. In my opinion grounding works, not being allowed to watch TV or use any of their electronic devices, no phone calls etc. Small children of course get time out on the naughty step or sent to their bedroom ( not to watch TV if ones in there). They are lucky today's children, lots of things we never had, but also unlucky because there's lots of things to deprive them of when they misbehave.

Archived