Smacking of children by parents to be banned..

Its not about wanting to beat your children, most sane people dont want to beat their children, but there's an issue here about our lives being intruded into by an authoritarian, nannying state.

But some do in the misguided notion that they are chastising their children. A law removes ambiguity.

You are the guardian of the child, not the owner.

Its not about wanting to beat your children, most sane people dont want to beat their children, but there's an issue here about our lives being intruded into by an authoritarian, nannying state.

Do the laws that says you musn't beat or rape your wife also represent an intrusion by an authoritian nannying state, or is that somehow different?

Do the laws that says you musn't beat or rape your wife also represent an intrusion by an authoritian nannying state, or is that somehow different?

You talk as if there are no laws in place already to deal with child abuse.

This issue of parents disciplining their children in a way that they see fit is one of those where most people are prepared to accept that, as long as it doesn't go to the extreme of wanton, needless violence, the law/state should stay out of.

Totally against any slapping. Our solution to dealing with ours when they stepped out of line was banishment to their bedrooms for a set period.
If visiting America, better not slap a child in public if you want to keep your freedom or your child. Teachers in school keep a close eye on any evidence of bruising, and will advise DCF if they think something is wrong.

I smack my kid from time to time. Not exactly a beating, just a little slap with a couple of warnings first.

She now doesn't do the bad things so no more need to slap.

The idea of not slapping a kid is beyond daft. If the parents have no way to tell the kids they can't go too far, it'll be worse for the kids as they grow up.

All that talk about kids just needing "a little talk" is bull.

I smack my kid from time to time. Not exactly a beating, just a little slap with a couple of warnings first.

She now doesn't do the bad things so no more need to slap.

The idea of not slapping a kid is beyond daft. If the parents have no way to tell the kids they can't go too far, it'll be worse for the kids as they grow up.

All that talk about kids just needing "a little talk" is bull.

Some valid points there upinwath.

Do you consider a parent that does not use physical violence as a form of discipline to be bringing their child up incorrectly?

Some valid points there upinwath.

Do you consider a parent that does not use physical violence as a form of discipline to be bringing their child up incorrectly?

Only if the kid has constant bad behaviour that would probably be cured by the odd smack.

The smack should only be used if other options have failed but I believe you're failing your kid if you don't put them on the right path when you could have done.

I am not proposing one.:)

I didn't say you did, but this is what the post is about. I don't believe that smacking children is acceptable, I never did and my children never have, so there could be proof there that what is done (or not done) to the child is accepted by that child as the norm and they go on to treat their children the same.

I really just don't know, I only gave my opinion and unless people are willing to report their partner, friend, neighbour or even parent then trying to impose a ban on smacking would not work.

Of course it isn't the same as rape, murder, burglary ect as someone said as the victim of said crime will report it, how many 2/3 year olds can report a smacking incident.

if you carnt beat you own children in you own home whats the wrold coming to ehh. next theyl be tellin us where we can and cart smoke.....................

............................. oh

The OP says, "Smacking".

It's a usual cretinous way to defend a daft position by trying to make a light slap sound like you're using a baseball bat to break the kid's necks.

pathetic post.

Archived