Just got snow tyre on

They dont make snow tyres for my car, and if they did I am not sure they would pay for themselves.

Most of my mileage is motorway and high speed road mileage, and they would wear very quickly.

I only really need extra grip on my own road, when it is really bad.

I am going to get a set of skid chains this year, having seen how easy they are to fit.

They dont make snow tyres for my car, and if they did I am not sure they would pay for themselves.

Most of my mileage is motorway and high speed road mileage, and they would wear very quickly.

I am going to get a set of skid chains this year, having seen how easy they are to fit.

Improved braking on the motorway during cold weather

Who told you that? Most of my mileage was on the Autobahn and at speeds usually in excess of 80mph. - The winter tyres fitted to my car had a maximum speed rating of 240Kph (150mph)

Mud and Snow tyres do wear more rapidly than summer tyres - but not markedly (the mileage life of an M&S is about 85% of that of a summer tyre) and since you will only use them for less than 6 months of each year, the additional cost will be minimal. - Far less than the cost of repairing damage caused by sliding into something on summer tyres.

Hi

Our RR Sport has 60/40 tyres, ie 60% for summer and 40 for winter. As its a 4x4, no worries, FACT

I know I really shouldn't encourage you but...as proper winter tyres use a different compound (more silica) then "summer" tyres then you won't have what you've posted...the different compound allows the tyres to remain more supple at lower temperatures which gives them better grip than their allseason counterparts..you may have tyres that are designed for 60/40 on road/off road but that's not the same as a winter tyre..FACT!

• 3 weeks later...

I never took mine off. There is still plenty of tread on them 20,000 miles later - at least on the back. I will probably replace the fronts soon.

They were a bit squishy when it got really hot, but apart from that they were fine.

Winter tyres give you much better grip when the temperature is below 7 degress approximately - which means the car corners better and stops better even when it is simply cold, rather than snowy or icy.

The performance of a winter tyre in summer is superior to a summer tyre in winter, so if you are going to stick with one type, it ought to be winters.

Archived