Housing benefit advice wanted

Hi

here's the story, shortened version anyway.

My sixteen year old brother has decided to move in with his grandma, but she claims housing benefit and is worried that because he is working, he earns £75 a week, it will affect her benefit claim although she won't be taking any money off him.

Can anyone on here give me any advice regarding this please

Hi

My sixteen year old brother has decided to move in with his grandma, but she claims housing benefit and is worried that because he is working, he earns £75 a week, it will affect her benefit claim although she won't be taking any money off him.

Hi

thankfully we have never needed "HB" as we have always lived with parents then our own humble home.

What you need to do is to call up and ask the people at local gov. (don't give them your name as you don't have to for advice)

Best to declare everyhting rather than having to pay later.

good luck

:)

Strictly speaking your grandma will have to notify Howden House as there has been a change in her circumstances i.e. your brother moving in. If she doesn't tell them then she could be prosecuted for fraud if it turns out she was knowingly claiming more money than she should have been. They could suspend her claim and ask for an overpayment to be repaid if they find out through the grapevine. But it may be that she can still get full housing benefit anyway so there may be nothing to worry about. She may want to go to a local advice centre first to see what the situation is but she's taking a risk by not saying anything. It's best to be honest.

she should notify them, but if he isn't paying her any rent then I dont think it would affect her claim
it isn't up to her but those who set the rules for benefits as to whether he should be making a contribution to the rent :rolleyes: it's about household income, and he's a member of the household

presumably she'll also be losing her single person discount on the housing benefit for a starters

Hi

To many factors needed before being able to advise.

A couple of key areas to note:

No Non-Dependant charges until 18

An award of DLA Care or AA for your Gram would remove any charge when 18

IF Grandma is receiving LHA then she could actually get more HB

Archived