We have a bill addressed to us that's not for us..

If the property was empty between those dates there may still have been power consumed by the property - eg the boiler left heating water or the landlord having cleaning/decorating/refurbishment done using electricity

None of this is your problem, however. If they continue to pester you, I'd suggest you pass on contact details for the letting agent or landlord as THEY were responsible for the property at the time

Would continually demanding payment to ‘new occupier’ (us) count as harassment, as we do not owe the money for this bill?

Just to make clear and avoid people arguing over a misinterpretation;

It appears that the old occupier left the property at the end of July. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Consequently, the bills for 1-21 August addresed to "new occupier" are not addressed to you; they are aimed at a theoretical new occupier who moved in on August 1st and moved out again on the 21st.

The best advice you've had so far is to return all bills and write "property not occupied during this period" on them. Or, pass on the name and address of the landlord and let him sort it out. It palpably is not your concern, the energy company can't touch you for it and won't bother to try, so please try not to get worried about it other than the nuisance of getting repeated letters that aren't for you.

Return the bills to sender. Ask them to trace the people who owe them the money.

Give them the name and address of the landlord and tell them to sort it out amongst themselves.

I had a similar problem when I switched suppliers. Both companies tried to charge me for the two week overlap whilst they changed the account. I wrote to both of them and explained that I could only possibly owe one company the money. I asked them to sort it out with each other and send me a proper bill when they had. That worked ... which rather surprised me:)

Archived