Heeley Fish and Chip Shops 1970's

JOHN HABS

Anyone from the Heeley area on here who remembers the fish and chip opposite what used to be the Upper Heeley WMC, and the fish and chip shop on the same side as the WMC but a little further down the road towards Heeley green ?

When wife and I were courting we use to call in either one of the fish and chips shops, get chips and fishcake in a newspaper...... seem to remember it costing us 1/3d per portion

( 8 new pence in today's money )......look at price today for the same thing.

Also opposite the Upper Heeley WMC on one corner there was an hairdresse's and on the other corner a small grocery shop that use to sell everything - a bit like Arkwrights from the telly.

Anyone from the Heeley area on here who remembers the fish and chip opposite what used to be the Upper Heeley WMC, and the fish and chip shop on the same side as the WMC but a little further down the road towards Heeley green ?

The one on Penns Road was Chinese by the late 60's and the one further down from the club was Elliot's. Mrs Elliot was reputed never to have enough stuff cooked and would chuck more chips, fish, whatever in the fryer depending on how busy the shop was. The result was if you were there when the shop was quiet you often had to wait until your order was cooked from scratch or if the shop was busy you could have undercooked and overcooked food in the same order. The Chinese on Penns road was demolished and the same people opened a place in Heeley Green. There was also Billy's on Cambridge Road which moved down to Valley Road (I think) when slum clearance claimed the property and a chip shop on Spencer Road which I can't remember the name of but it was the last I ever heard of with coal fired fryers. Towards the end, in the early seventies there was always a giant poster of Elvis on the back wall in that one and I fancied the young woman who worked there- She was very attractive!

There was also a Chinese at the bottom of Myrtle Road

I remember Mrs Harpers chip shop at the very bottom of Chippinghouse Rd, just a few yards away from Heeley bottom.

hiya how things have changed when i remember the chipshops where i lived in the 1940s within 15 minutes walk from our house there were six, and the same distance there were twenty two pubs all open, also seven beer off licenses ,and five butchers.

The Spencer Rd. shop was Mitchel's.

What was the name of the street that the Fish & Chip shop that was lower down from the UHWMC called. It was on the corner of Gleadless Rd. & ?.

Quite a few lads fancied Mithell's daughter who served in the chippie on Spencer Road.

Elliot's chippie was on the corner of Gleadless Road and either Fitzroy Road or Raleigh Road.

Archived