Vanishing glaciers. Proof of global warming. ?

Is there a solution to over population?

A closer look at whether or not we should be sustaining an individual life for as long as possible might go someway.

Might not be PC, but surely all the aid we send to developing nations also adds to the global population / over population issues.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't aid such nations, just that at some point someone has to grasp the nettle of overpopulation.

Is there a solution to over population?

A closer look at whether or not we should be sustaining an individual life for as long as possible might go someway.

I think ther first step would have to be acknowledging the problem and raising global awareness of how bad it is. Any serious effort would need to be global, and would inevitably produce difficulties (especially economic) so effective action would not be feasable without raising awareness of the consequences of failing to act.

Incidently, I think the economic aspect goes a long way to explaining why governments pretend this problem does not exist.

Quite right.

The problem is that all of the evidence that says the earth goes through cycles, also says that right now it should be cooling down towards the next ice age. But it isn't; it's warming up.

From many reports we are still in an ice age..

This one's from Wiki but thedred are many more like it out there..

"An ice age or, more precisely, glacial age, is a generic geological period of long-term reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of extra cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations" or colloquially as "Ice Age"), and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials". Glaciologically, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres;[1] by this definition we are still in the ice age that began at the start of the Pleistocene (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist).[2]"

Ooops..didn't see Auto's post... sorry.

Might not be PC, but surely all the aid we send to developing nations also adds to the global population / over population issues.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't aid such nations, just that at some point someone has to grasp the nettle of overpopulation.

That's interesting.

Not so long back I had a discussion with someone and much like the forum it started innocently and progressed to serious matters, one of which was natural selection and the like and a topic came up that the natural disaters of the world were in some way designed to deplete a population so that energy and food resources were not exhausted and this included famines. In effect all we are doing is promoting our own demise.

We never arrived at a solution then either but it struck us as odd that of all the animal species on this planet we must surely be the only ones to increase our population more and more knowing of the problems this will create.

I think ther first step would have to be acknowledging the problem and raising global awareness of how bad it is. Any serious effort would need to be global, and would inevitably produce difficulties (especially economic) so effective action would not be feasable without raising awareness of the consequences of failing to act.

Incidently, I think the economic aspect goes a long way to explaining why governments pretend this problem does not exist.

The population increases are mainly in the developing countries, countries that can't sustain the population they have now. People from these countries are moving to countries were the population is in decline, European population would be in decline if it wasn’t for immigration.

The population increases are mainly in the developing countries, countries that can't sustain the population they have now. People from these countries are moving to countries were the population is in decline, European population would be in decline if it wasn’t for immigration.

Is it in decline or are we somehow controlling the birth rate though?

edit: or is the birth rate being controlled naturally?

This is true, and unfortunately the very thing which would make it such a difficult problem to deal with (if the will existed).

The places where populations are expanding most rapidly tend to be the same ones where governments are most corrupt and ineffective. Without stable, effective government, it would be very difficult to raise awareness of the issue and get consensus to act, never mind actually implementing measures, which would require detailed foreward planning and money to adapt to rapidly changing demographics.

Is it in decline or are we somehow controlling the birth rate though?

edit: or is the birth rate being controlled naturally?

This one we aren’t having enough children to sustain the population which I my opinion is a good thing, it does however cause other economic problems.

This one we aren’t having enough children to sustain the population which I my opinion is a good thing, it does however cause other economic problems.

But what causes the decline, is it the current economy that influences a decision on would be parents to not have them or only have one?

That's interesting.

Not so long back I had a discussion with someone and much like the forum it started innocently and progressed to serious matters, one of which was natural selection and the like and a topic came up that the natural disaters of the world were in some way designed to deplete a population so that energy and food resources were not exhausted and this included famines. In effect all we are doing is promoting our own demise.

We never arrived at a solution then either but it struck us as odd that of all the animal species on this planet we must surely be the only ones to increase our population more and more knowing of the problems this will create.

Knowing intellectually that over population is a problem doesn't translate to individuals changing their behaviour because individually we're selfish.

The idea that things are 'designed' is a bad one. Because you'll have to ask who designed it.

Archived