If I could show you how to legally get around paying PAYE, would you do it?

Would you have your wages without most or all of PAYE?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have your wages without most or all of PAYE?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure - maybe add why please

I was just hypothesizing a situation where it might be possible for a person or a group to be self-sufficient in food and energy and thrive by bartering goods and produce; no need for money or bank accounts, perhaps impractical but without any income I can't see the taxman being able to get anything out of them.

I was just hypothesizing a situation where it might be possible for a person or a group to be self-sufficient in food and energy and thrive by bartering goods and produce; no need for money or bank accounts, perhaps impractical but without any income I can't see the taxman being able to get anything out of them.

I have heard of groups of people who use each others skills instead of any form of payment. A plumber will do work for an electrician and the electrician wiil return the favour by doing work for the plumber etc. A hairdresser wiil use her skills in return for help from a gardener. Cash is replaced by skills, so no money ever changes hands therefore no tax is demanded.

I have heard of groups of people who use each others skills instead of any form of payment. A plumber will do work for an electrician and the electrician wiil return the favour by doing work for the plumber etc. A hairdresser wiil use her skills in return for help from a gardener. Cash is replaced by skills, so no money ever changes hands therefore no tax is demanded.

Does the electrician do an hour’s work in return for an hours work from a gardener or is one skill more valuable than another.

Sadly it's still a benefit in kind and liable to tax and VAT.

Yes but what would such a person put down on their self-assessment form (if they had one), would they be running a business (no income or outgoings) and would they be employed or self-employed?

No, I wouldn't. It's dishonest and immoral.

And one of the reasons that Greece is in such a financial mess.

It's a moral, civic and national duty to pay one's text to help fund the services that we all hold so dear as well as to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

Do you trust the Government with our taxes ? - to spend them in the way they should be spent (instead of on bribes to corrupt dictators around the world in the guise of 'foreign aid') ? :cool:

Archived