Is there ever a reasonable excuse for driving uninsured?

Yesterday we had the unusual sight of an uninsured driver actually bold enough to publically admit it on here. (Some absolute guff about feeding his kids or something).

True, he got massively slated, but still surprising. Wouldn't it be jolly if he got nabbed and they crushed his motor?

Is there ever any acceptable reason for driving uninsured?

Yes, when you're a taxi driver. You are a licenced taxi holder and have insurance, but the vehicle is never off the road when you finish your shift because your sons, who are unlikey to have insurance let alone be a registered taxi driver, see it as an opportunity to raise cash.

Yes, when you're a taxi driver. You are a licenced taxi holder and have insurance, but the vehicle is never off the road when you finish your shift because your sons, who are unlikey to have insurance let alone be a registered taxi driver, see it as an opportunity to raise cash.

You think that's reasonable? Weird.

Yesterday we had the unusual sight of an uninsured driver actually bold enough to publically admit it on here. (Some absolute guff about feeding his kids or something).

True, he got massively slated, but still surprising. Wouldn't it be jolly if he got nabbed and they crushed his motor?

Is there ever any acceptable reason for driving uninsured?

You are in an isolated area with no phone, you find someone that is badly injured and needs urgent medical attention, and it would take you too long to run for help. If the person that needs help had a car, and the only way for me to get that help in time to save their life was to drive their car, I would drive it despite not having insurance. :)

A loved one/child who is critically sick and you're tired of waiting for an ambulance...or something along those lines.

You are in an isolated area with no phone, you find someone that is badly injured and needs urgent medical attention, and it would take you too long to run for help. If the person that needs help had a car, and the only way for me to get that help in time to save their life was to drive their car, I would drive it despite not having insurance. :)

Yeah, I think both of those are about as reasonable as you could, well, reasonably hope to find.

A loved one/child who is critically sick and you're tired of waiting for an ambulance...or something along those lines.

Before i left Stoke there was a man who brought his daughter into A&E in his own car. She lost two of her fingers in an accident at home and the ambulance was going to be around 40 minutes so he put her in the car and brought her even though the car wasnt taxed and he wasnt insured to drive it. Cutting a long story short another patient saw his car in the car park had no tax (he was stood by smokers corner) and they got chatting. The dad told this man the car wasnt taxed or insured and the reasons why he drove his daughter to hospital, they finished their smoke and went their seperate ways.

This man was an off duty police officer, phoned his station and got a patrol to come round and check his car. The car obviously had no insurance and not tax so they took it away. I dont know if they crushed it but i know the look on the mans face when they told him how much it would be per day to store it was awful. What upset me is i was dealing with this man and his daughter, such a lovely family and you could tell the dad was desperate which is why he used his own car but it cut no ice with the law. They wouldnt even let him get his brother who was a mechanic with a trailor to come tow it away for him.

Poor bloke :(

His daughter made a very good recovery though which is the silver lining to this cloud.

Archived