Is there ever a reasonable excuse for driving uninsured?

Out of interest. when insurance goes up to £3000 a year as the cheapest quote, will you drive uninsured?

I reckon many people will chance it

I would most likely give up driving to be honest. Driving without insurance in day to day requirements is most definitely not right.

I just remembered the phrase from a case a few years ago when someone was being chased by another car.

Someone tried to get at me at some lights once-luckily I saw it coming and locked the car. I had my wife and child who was only a few months old in the car with me.

If I had not managed to lock the doors then the only other option to me at the time would be to go through the lights (hopefully encouraging the person to let go of the door) or perhaps in the interest of not breaking any laws I should have let them car jack the car or assualt me-whatever they were decided upon doing.

Like I said though, I managed to get the lock in time-but if not.........

It's nice to see the courts can apply common sense on the matter.

With the notable exceptions of the queen (who has neither driving licence nor insurance) and some very large companies who lodge a payment with Lloyds rather than take out individual vehicle insurance (Glaxo Smith Kline being one that I know works in this way).

EDIT- and to answer the OP, if it was a matter of life and death that I got someone to hospital immediately (or similar) then I'd worry about the legal consequences later and drive any available vehicle. Other than that, I don't think that there is a valid excuse for driving uninsured.

Apparently she did once have a driving licence, issued to her in 1945 and I quote:

It was given to the then 18-year-old Princess in 1945 when she was a member of the Auxiliary Territorial Service.

It was kept by the Queen's driving instructor after the war, before making it into the hands of a private collector, who recently sold it to the museum.

If you are saying that you will stop driving when you cannot afford insurance, then hats off to you and full respect.

That day will not be too far in the future, I give it about 3 years for well over 50% of todays motorists, and 90% in 10 years time.

Although it is only the young getting silly qoutes, it will affect us all very soon.

This winter is predicted to be a bad winter, and minor accidents will go up, this will impact on everyones insurance next year. If you are genuinely saying you won't take that chance, then I respect your choice

From post 11 you obviously think that there is no reason what-so-ever someone should drive an uninsured car-even in an emergency.

Which is correct.

So, where I would, if left with no other option at all, take a dying person to hospital in a car that uninsured you would do nothing?

Keep your car legal. That way, there is no need to drive anywhere illegally.

Remember, the question is 'Is there ever a reasonable excuse for driving uninsured'.

And the answer is no, otherwise the law would allow you to drive without the need for insurance.

You own two cars. One is a Smart car you use to commute in, it's taxed and insured, your daily driver.

The other is a Land Rover you are restoring. It's kept in your garage while you fix it, and is SORN - not taxed, not insured.

Over Christmas you pretty much finish it - you just need to get it a new MOT after the holidays so you can tax and insure it.

Then, it snows a great deal, and your child is taken seriously ill. NHS Direct advise you to get to a hospital as soon as possible. Ambulances cannot get to your house because you live in a remote area (hence the Land Rover restoration). Taxis cannot get to you. There are no buses at this time even if it hadn't snowed.

You have a sick child - and they keys to a taxed and insured Smart car, and an uninsured Land Rover. I know which one I'd take.

Archived