600cc Bike restricted to a 125cc?

Let me get this right.

You want a 600 CC crotch rocket but run it down at 125 power.

What total stupidity.

Not 125 power but there are many, many bikes on the road 600cc (and much bigger) which have been fitted with restrictor kits so that young riders can legally use a larger bike within the 33bhp limit for their first 2 years of riding.

Over the age of 21 the 'direct access' schemes come into place, but for under-21s, a 33bhp limit is applied for their first 2 years of riding. It's the law, and a good law which makes young people steadily build their riding experience, not stupidity.

Not 125 power but there are many, many bikes on the road 600cc (and much bigger) which have been fitted with restrictor kits so that young riders can legally use a larger bike within the 33bhp limit for their first 2 years of riding.

Over the age of 21 the 'direct access' schemes come into place, but for under-21s, a 33bhp limit is applied for their first 2 years of riding. It's the law, and a good law which makes young people steadily build their riding experience, not stupidity.

Bold.

Many bikes means many idiots. Just because there are quite a few idiots doesn't make them any less stupid.

The law is good as it stops the stupid buying rockets to keep the funeral directors in business.

That is still no excuse for being daft and buying a 600 that is seriously underpowered by restriction.

They're clearly just pointless posers.

Not restricted to 125 equivalent power, but the answer is yes to restricted, though it's to a 33bhp limit. You can buy pretty much any 600 you want and have it restricted.

Ignore the quote above. There are plenty of cases of some 125cc bikes being heavier than some 600cc bikes, so the weight issue is irrelevant. As the 600 would be restricted to 33bhp (as opposed to 125 power level), you'd still have much more power than a 125 but more importantly there would be siginifcantly more torque, and the bottom end/midrange delivery would not be much less than the unrestricted bike.

The OP says they've only passed their CBT not the actual bike test. If they haven't passed the bike test yet they'll be restricted to 11 bhp unless doing a direct access scheme.

Bold.

Many bikes means many idiots. Just because there are quite a few idiots doesn't make them any less stupid.

The law is good as it stops the stupid buying rockets to keep the funeral directors in business.

That is still no excuse for being daft and buying a 600 that is seriously underpowered by restriction.

They're clearly just pointless posers.

How many bikes have you owned?

I'm sure it will be dozens at least to support your expertise on the subject. Doubtless you'll be aware that a restricted 600 (or 400, 250 etc) will be a more comfortable machine than a 125, have better brakes, smoother clutch, better lights and controls, more comfortable and effective suspension, and even with a restrictor kit fitted will pull much better than a 125. Lots of good reasons for the many thousands of 'idiots' who ride them

It's very interesting that you feel the need to call people idiots or stupid because they want to upgrade to a nicer machine.

The OP says they've only passed their CBT not the actual bike test. If they haven't passed the bike test yet they'll be restricted to 11 bhp unless doing a direct access scheme.
Fair point, though I'd assume he'd be moving through Module 1 and Module 2 thereafter.

If he does just want something he can ride post-CBT and before the modules, then it needs to be a 125 really.

How many bikes have you owned?

I'm sure it will be dozens at least to support your expertise on the subject. Doubtless you'll be aware that a restricted 600 (or 400, 250 etc) will be a more comfortable machine than a 125, have better brakes, smoother clutch, better lights and controls, more comfortable and effective suspension, and even with a restrictor kit fitted will pull much better than a 125. Lots of good reasons for the many thousands of 'idiots' who ride them

I've owned several bikes used for various jobs.

I've got a good few thousands of miles behind me on a variety of machines from a 110 cc step through to 750cc rockets.

I've only owned two bikes while in Indonesia but they demonstrate why you're talking crap.

One was a Honda Tiger (200cc) while the other is a little Yam step though (110cc)

The tiger is too big and heavy for the use I have now so I use the Yam.

The lighter bike has inferior brakes but doesn't need the efficiency as it has less weight to stop.

The lighter bike is far easier to ride than the larger machine.

The Op's 600cc machine would be far harder to handle in many situations than a smaller 125 and be slower anyway as the power has far greater weight to shift.

As for comfort - smoke. My mini Yam is one of the most comfortable machines I've ever ridden but my favourite is still the Honda XBR 500.

That's an older design, very light weight, 500 single in case you have to google it.

It's very interesting that you feel the need to call people idiots or stupid because they want to upgrade to a nicer machine.

I call them idiots and posers because that's what they are. There is absolutely no reason to buy a 600 that you have to restrict, thus making it underpowered.

These bikes have years of design experience put into them and some pilchards just have to sod about so they can pose.

The 125s are designed to operate at prime efficiency but you can't pretend you're a "big man" on one of those.

It's just a posing tool by lame children who want to look like they have a real bike even if they have to turn it into a toy to ride it.

I wonder if they put ash trays on them. That would make them about as useful as the accessory.

Can someone please answer me a question.. Right.

I only have a passed CBT test, as im only 20.

Is it legal for me to get like a 600cc bike and

have it restricted to around the same BPH

as a 125cc? Thanks :)

The answer to this would be NO, the motorcycle would still be registered as a 600cc on the registration document, so the reduction of BPH would not alter the fact that it still is a 600cc engine. Plus insurance companies would not entertain it either.

I've owned several bikes used for various jobs.

I've got a good few thousands of miles behind me on a variety of machines from a 110 cc step through to 750cc rockets.

I've only owned two bikes while in Indonesia but they demonstrate why you're talking crap.

One was a Honda Tiger (200cc) while the other is a little Yam step though (110cc)

The tiger is too big and heavy for the use I have now so I use the Yam.

The lighter bike has inferior brakes but doesn't need the efficiency as it has less weight to stop.

The lighter bike is far easier to ride than the larger machine.

Good for you, I’ve probably owned less than a hundred bikes personally but ridden thousands – it’s what I do. I’ve never heard anybody describe a Honda Tiger as ‘big and heavy’ at 137kg dry, but there’s a first for everything I suppose.

The Op's 600cc machine would be far harder to handle in many situations than a smaller 125 and be slower anyway as the power has far greater weight to shift.
No, you’re so far wrong it’s laughable. A restricted 600 doesn’t feel that much different to the unrestricted bike until after 6000rpm, in some cases 8000rpm. It will not only have 2 or 3 times more power than the 125, but will also have maybe 4 or 5 times as much torque. And weight? There are plenty of heavy 125s and light 600s. Here’s a few examples:

Yamaha Drag Star 125. 144kg dry weight. Add fluids and rider, weight about 244kg. 12.8bhp, 6.9ftlb torque

Suzuki Intruder 125. 140kg dry weight. Add fluids and rider, weight about 240kg. 13.0bhp, 7ftlb torque

GSXR600 163kg dry, restricted to 33bhp. 263kg loaded with rider.

Yamaha R6 166kg dry, restricted to 33bhp. 266kg loaded with rider.

Are you really trying to tell us that a 125cc 240kg bike/rider with 13bhp and 7ftlb or torque is going to be to be quicker than a 600cc 265kg bike/rider with 33bhp and about 40ftlb or torque? Do you understand the relationship between power and torque?

I’ve ridden many, and can assure you that the restricted 600 is in a different league to a 125.

As for comfort - smoke. My mini Yam is one of the most comfortable machines I've ever ridden but my favourite is still the Honda XBR 500.

That's an older design, very light weight, 500 single in case you have to google it.

I know it, not one of the best machines ever to hit the road – that’s putting it kindly.

But hang on – you say it’s ‘very lght weight’. Why do you say that? It’s a 157kg machine, 19kg heavier than the Honda Tiger which you say is ‘too big and heavy’. I think you need to make your mind up here

I call them idiots and posers because that's what they are. There is absolutely no reason to buy a 600 that you have to restrict, thus making it underpowered.
A restricted bike may be limited to 33bhp but will still produce significantly more low-end and midrange torque than a 125, making it pull just fine. Of course you’d know this – I’m sure you’ve ridden loads of restricted 250s, 400s, 600s, 1000s even? I have, and until you can say the same, best keep your erroneous guesswork to yourself really.

These bikes have years of design experience put into them and some pilchards just have to sod about so they can pose. The 125s are designed to operate at prime efficiency but you can't pretend you're a "big man" on one of those.
No, 125s aren’t designed to operate at ‘prime efficiency’. That claim alone reveals your lack of knowledge.

They too are mostly restricted to a legally-determined power level. They are generally low-revving and low compression engines operating way out of efficient bands.

It's just a posing tool by lame children who want to look like they have a real bike even if they have to turn it into a toy to ride it.

I wonder if they put ash trays on them. That would make them about as useful as the accessory.

Why the attitude? Why do you have to knock people so bitterly just because you don’t agree with their choice of bike? Larger bikes are generally more refined and comfortable than smaller ones, with better suspension and brakes. If you think somebody needs to be a ‘lame child’ to desire that, you have some real issues.

Good for you, I’ve probably owned less than a hundred bikes personally but ridden thousands – it’s what I do. I’ve never heard anybody describe a Honda Tiger as ‘big and heavy’ at 137kg dry, but there’s a first for everything I suppose.

No, you’re so far wrong it’s laughable. A restricted 600 doesn’t feel that much different to the unrestricted bike until after 6000rpm, in some cases 8000rpm. It will not only have 2 or 3 times more power than the 125, but will also have maybe 4 or 5 times as much torque. And weight? There are plenty of heavy 125s and light 600s. Here’s a few examples:

Yamaha Drag Star 125. 144kg dry weight. Add fluids and rider, weight about 244kg. 12.8bhp, 6.9ftlb torque

Suzuki Intruder 125. 140kg dry weight. Add fluids and rider, weight about 240kg. 13.0bhp, 7ftlb torque

GSXR600 163kg dry, restricted to 33bhp. 263kg loaded with rider.

Yamaha R6 166kg dry, restricted to 33bhp. 266kg loaded with rider.

Are you really trying to tell us that a 125cc 240kg bike/rider with 13bhp and 7ftlb or torque is going to be to be quicker than a 600cc 265kg bike/rider with 33bhp and about 40ftlb or torque? Do you understand the relationship between power and torque?

I’ve ridden many, and can assure you that the restricted 600 is in a different league to a 125.

I know it, not one of the best machines ever to hit the road – that’s putting it kindly.

But hang on – you say it’s ‘very lght weight’. Why do you say that? It’s a 157kg machine, 19kg heavier than the Honda Tiger which you say is ‘too big and heavy’. I think you need to make your mind up here

A restricted bike may be limited to 33bhp but will still produce significantly more low-end and midrange torque than a 125, making it pull just fine. Of course you’d know this – I’m sure you’ve ridden loads of restricted 250s, 400s, 600s, 1000s even? I have, and until you can say the same, best keep your erroneous guesswork to yourself really.

No, 125s aren’t designed to operate at ‘prime efficiency’. That claim alone reveals your lack of knowledge.

They too are mostly restricted to a legally-determined power level. They are generally low-revving and low compression engines operating way out of efficient bands.

Why the attitude? Why do you have to knock people so bitterly just because you don’t agree with their choice of bike? Larger bikes are generally more refined and comfortable than smaller ones, with better suspension and brakes. If you think somebody needs to be a ‘lame child’ to desire that, you have some real issues.

Are you going to try and make him look stupid next?:hihi::hihi:

Archived