World War 1: If Only ..

True, true. France would've lost a second war with Germany and been equally as grumpy as before. :)
France and Germany have been at each other's throats for centuries. Germany has had its own share of grumpiness (whatever that is, and means).

Are you starting to realise how futile your argument is, yet?

Well, part of a loose league of Germanic states at any rate. Prussia won Alsace fair and square in battle. Before that, of course, it was French.
And before that, it was German.

Then again, before that, it was French.

But then, before that still, it was German.

Etc.

You can go back a good millenia that way, if not longer ;)

Little-known fact: that particular geographical bit was not occupied in 1940. It was annexed and became part of the IIIrd Reich. You can kinda see how precious the 2 countries got about it over time.

Germany has had its own share of grumpiness (whatever that is, and means).

Are you starting to realise how futile your argument is, yet?

Never. Onwards I shall go. :)

I say grumpyness because France was a bit upset and wanted Alsace-Lorraine back. Germany had their grumpy period in the early 30s, but that went down a darker path.

I don't like "what if ..."s. It's all hugely conditional.

It's simply a way of touting your own beliefs but claiming some kind of non-existent historical rigor.

If you're reading this Niall, made-up stories do not count as history, even if you prefix it with the word "counterfactual".

Never. Onwards I shall go. :)

I say grumpyness because France was a bit upset and wanted Alsace-Lorraine back. Germany had their grumpy period in the early 30s, but that went down a darker path.

But your argument is if it hadn't we'd all be happy bunnies...right?

Archived