The Case of Charles Peace (1949) on telly today (18.10.11)

It is on again today. Does anyone know if it was filmed in Sheffield?

I have the Dvd which I got from Amazon just says Merton Studios Merton London.

I have just been on the IMDB Website and someone has put on a review that Charlie Peace was a Mancunian. He must have been a Southerner because most can not tell the difference lol.

I remember when I went to Kent and people always asked me if I was from Lancashire.

I have the Dvd which I got from Amazon just says Merton Studios Merton London.

I have just been on the IMDB Website and someone has put on a review that Charlie Peace was a Mancunian. He must have been a Southerner because most can not tell the difference lol.

I remember when I went to Kent and people always asked me if I was from Lancashire.

must be aswell cos obviously a major part of the story was about when he lived in greater manchester too.

then again he lived in Hull and London aswell but doesnt get accused of being from those places :P

• 6 months later...
must be aswell cos obviously a major part of the story was about when he lived in greater manchester too.

then again he lived in Hull and London aswell but doesnt get accused of being from those places :P

I did a course with the WEA on crimes and punishment, a couple of years ago, and looked at Charles Peace's case.

the study never said anything about him living in Manchester, (though he travelled there by train, and it was in Manchester that he Shot and killed the police officer.

he was born in the orchard street area of the city centre, and IIRC he lived down near Holy Trinity, Wicker (somewhere in the neepsend area anyway) for most of his youth.

he then spent a long time in the royal infirmary aged 15 (a good 18 months to 2 years) after an industrial accident almost cost him his leg, when a red hot metal bar misfired from a machine and went through his knee.

he lived for a time behind the pub, The Earl of Arundel and Surrey, in Lowfields, (where the field of the U-Mix community centre is now,.

he moved to the britannia road area of Darnall, which is where he met Mrs Dyson, the wife of Ernest Dyson, one of the men whom he later murdered.

After the Dyson murder, he fled to London, where he masqueraded as a Sunday school teacher, whilst still carrying on his side-trade as a cat-burglar.

His real identity was betrayed to the police, by one of the women with whom he had been carrying on an affair.

he was arrested and taken back to Sheffield to be tried.

Whilst en-route, he attempted a daring escape, by trying to leap from the train whilst still handcuffed, when the train slowed to go through Kiveton, however he only succeeded in concussing himself, and was quickly recaptured, and tried for Dyson's Murder.

The police had, in the meantime, arrested two brothers from Manchester, for the murder of police officer whom Peace had killed, and the brothers had been convicted, and one of the brothers had been sentenced to hang.

Peace confessed to the crime, and was hanged in February 1879.

My grandmother told me stories about Charles Peace. We lived in Darnall at the time and some of our family had originated around the Manor I think. Anyway she told me that when he was on the run he was allowed to hide in the attic of my great grand mothers house. No idea if she was telling the truth cool story though.

A fascinating character. Other odd bits that spring to mind - for some time he had a picture framing shop on West Street. He was also was a talented violinist of some repute, sometimes called the "poor man's Paganini"