Being seen to be fair.

Is this an admission that lack of regulation by the Labour government was a factor in the bust?

Of course Labour should have been tougher on the banks. The minute they started to get tough though, the media withdrew their support for Labour, and the rest is history.

The economy was showing signs of recovery though, under Labour, and we've only had it further driven in to the ground since they've gone, I'm afraid.

Yes, can you imagine how much WORSE it would have been if the Cons had been in?

You can't know that...in reality you can only speculate and your bias will only lead you to one conclusion...for myself I've no idea what would have happened had the tories been in power..may have been better,may have been worse..we'll never know..

I'm not blaming them, or Brown specifically for the crash, I'm blaming him for how the country was ill-prepared to manage any future downturn.

Other countries are finding things much harder than here in the UK though because of the crash caused by the speculative bankers.

I also blame him for building our economic growth on cheap credit, and for not diversifying our economy and making it too reliant upon the financial sector.

Same as happened in the mid-eighties, when Thatcher killed our manufacturing base in favour of a service lead economy.

Of course Labour should have been tougher on the banks. The minute they started to get tough though, the media withdrew their support for Labour, and the rest is history.

So Labour governed in a way which they thought would keep them in power rather than do what they should have done for the good of the country?

They are NOT responsible for individual companies selling dodgy mortgages!!!:hihi: Derugulation of the financial services started with Big Bang in 1985. Do you think the Cons would have had stronger regulation??? :hihi: -I don't!

They are still dragging their feet now after all that has happened.

So is this how we going to judge Labour time in power by these two points, maybe this will be Labour's manifesto.

1 - We think that the Tories would have been just as bad us.

2 - It wasn't us, it's other peoples fault. Even though we were in power for 13 years, don't blame us for the state of the economy.

3 - An end to boom and bust. :hihi:

You can't know that...in reality you can only speculate and your bias will only lead you to one conclusion...for myself I've no idea what would have happened had the tories been in power..may have been better,may have been worse..we'll never know..

.....and the moon is made of green cheese!:cool:

Well let me have a guess....it would have been 'better' for a few and a hell of a lot 'worse' for many, as it is now.

Archived