Energy crisis and the economy

Does more people now understand the effects of peak oil and peak energy and its implications on the economy etc.?

I ask as no one was really interested about 5 years ago when I first started to post about the subject. But watching the news channel all afternoon you can see there's real panic now concerning the economy and they're trying to get energy companies to lower their prices but they can't because of the demand.

They also said the problem we've got is that if the economy improves it will put strain on oil demand and higher the price again causing yet another recession as quickly as getting out of one. All this is evidence of the peak oil theory.

At this rate my prediction of total collapse by the end of 2012 is looking good, although I really do hope I'm wrong.

Scared yet? Well your probably not but you when you finally wake up and smell the coffee that's brewing here.i

Ha ha

Stop watching the news most news nowadays has an hidden ajenda.The crux of this one is probably that were allowing the energy companies to keep ripping you off but we need to brainwash you into thinking that its nessercary.

Theres quite a few countries to invade yet before we start running out of oil.

Scared yet? Well your probably not but you when you finally wake up and smell the coffee that's brewing here.i

Will that be cold coffee?

Sorry, not mocking you. I do worry (doesn't keep me awake) about the way the we use fuel. It is a finite resource and we as a country have used most of ours so we are now being charged over the odds by other suppliers.

Our household has reduced our consumption of energy and will continue to do do. Fuel/energy prices are only going one way. Whether this destroys the economy or not is another matter but it does mean the cost of most things go up.

Theres quite a few countries to invade yet before we start running out of oil.

Peak Oil isn't about running out of oil, that will never happen. But one day it will cost more energy to get it out than what they get from it. The prices of oil are so volatile nowadays because of a few reasons being, demand from emerging countries, violence in oil producing areas and collapse of major oil fields due to depletion.

An oil filed can become redunant even wth half it's oil left becuase it becomes too difficult to recover.

Tar Sands in Alaska for instance are no good because they have such a low energy returned on energy invested. The sweet crude stuff isn't so easy to get now and that's the erason we'll never see the economy fully recover.

We are at what I'd describe 'at the end of an age'.

Peak Oil isn't about running out of oil, that will never happen. But one day it will cost more energy to get it out than what they get from it.

Which is effectively the same as running out.

If you can't extract it any more (for whatever reason), then you've got no oil left for cars, planes, generating electricity, producing agrochemicals and plastics.

If you've got no oil left you've....... run out!

Sorry to say this, I'll probably be howled down, but there's always Nuclear power. It's cheap and clean.

It's not as cheap as people think.

The Real Cost of Nuclear Power

The other problem with nuclear power is that it cannot supply many of the other things we get from oil.

Artificial fertilizers

Pesticides

Plastic

Paint/dyes

Synthetic rubber

Will that be cold coffee?

Sorry, not mocking you. I do worry (doesn't keep me awake) about the way the we use fuel. It is a finite resource and we as a country have used most of ours so we are now being charged over the odds by other suppliers.

Our household has reduced our consumption of energy and will continue to do do. Fuel/energy prices are only going one way. Whether this destroys the economy or not is another matter but it does mean the cost of most things go up.

Ever thought you were being had,

As Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer, Osborne currently suffers the misfortune of having to guide a struggling economy with an escalating deficit and debts estimated at £4.8 trillion through the worst global economic crisis since the Great Depression.

How will he do it?

Until recently the challenge seemed impossible. But then last week, gas exploration company Cuadrilla Resources handed him the solution on a plate, with the shock announcement that it had found four times more shale gas than expected in England's Bowland Shale; perhaps 200 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of the stuff based on information from two wells. If just a fraction of the reserves prove recoverable it not only turns the UK gas market on its head it would overshadow Poland’s massive reserves (around 187 Tcf) and Norway’s Troll gasfield (33 Tcf). And, according to Cuadrilla’s American CEO Mark Miller, there’s “as much gas per square mile in Bowland as the successful North American shale plays”.

http://www.energytribune.com/articles.cfm/8733/UK-Shale-Gas-Could-Shake-Government-Coalition

Ever thought you were being had,

As Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer, Osborne currently suffers the misfortune of having to guide a struggling economy with an escalating deficit and debts estimated at £4.8 trillion through the worst global economic crisis since the Great Depression.

How will he do it?

Until recently the challenge seemed impossible. But then last week, gas exploration company Cuadrilla Resources handed him the solution on a plate, with the shock announcement that it had found four times more shale gas than expected in England's Bowland Shale; perhaps 200 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of the stuff based on information from two wells. If just a fraction of the reserves prove recoverable it not only turns the UK gas market on its head it would overshadow Poland’s massive reserves (around 187 Tcf) and Norway’s Troll gasfield (33 Tcf). And, according to Cuadrilla’s American CEO Mark Miller, there’s “as much gas per square mile in Bowland as the successful North American shale plays”.

http://www.energytribune.com/articles.cfm/8733/UK-Shale-Gas-Could-Shake-Government-Coalition

First time you've ever posted anything interesting! Could provide upto 5600 jobs too. Excellent news. Why doesn't the govt step in and buy them out and supply the country with affordable gas?

Archived