How we kept warm in the winter!!

old tup

Last weekend my present wife and I went to visit our grandaughter and family in Bradford upon Avon near Bath,its a reet old drag over 3hrs,they have an apartment in an old gothic mansion down there.Being a big old place its not as warm as our central heated bungalow and I got into a conversation about this with her husband,he is as far away from me with his upbringing as possible.He went to private boarding school as a kid then to university,when I first met him I thought what a hoity toity ponce he was,he thought I was related to neandethal man.Anyroad up after knowing me for 7yrs or so I think I,ve smartened him up,he now swears like a trouper,boozes and has developed some of my bad habits.I was telling him about when we were kids trying to keep warm in bed in wintertime about my ma putting overcoats on top of the bedcovers to keep us from freezing,about the outside toilet like a fridge,he had never heard of these things and thought I was pulling his leg,things common to us in the old days growing up in Sheffield.Do any of you old boys and girls remember these times?.:roll::roll::D

aye tup i remember

our house was at the top of danville st so it caught the winter winds from any direction.we used to have a house brick out of oven wrapped in cloth for a hot water bottle and coats on the bed

to be honest i dont look back on them as hard times we just accepted it as norm

i do remember being hungry but things were rationed so that couldnt be helped

didnt seem to do me no harm still here and active

Oh the nostalgia.... You woke up in the morning under the blankets (topped up with dad's army greatcoat if your sister hadn't pinched it at 3 a.m.). Most of you was warm enough but your nose-end was freezing. You breathed out and there was a tinkling sound as the ice crystals fell to the floor. Scraping a layer of ice from the inside of the the bedroom window, you peered out to see the snow lying deep and crisp and even. The first thing was a call of nature, so wriggling into a pullover you went downstairs and across the yard to the sub-zero outside loo. Of course, the Tilley lamp had gone out during the night and the cistern was frozen solid. Back into the house to lay the fire - first came yesterday's Star, screwed up and placed on the grate, followed by some sticks (they sold them in bundles at the corner shop) and a few lumps of coal. Put a Capt. Webb to it and retreat back to bed while it got going. With any luck it didn't go out and warmed up the living-room while you were in bed thawing out....

Then came the Clean Air Act. There was still no central heating but at least your mum and dad got a grant to replace the coal fire with a Cannon Gas Miser. What luxury...:)

I remember when my mum and dad got a gas fire. On the front it had a spring loaded wire rack for toasting bread one side at a time. We couldn't wait for both sides to be toasted. My brother spread marg on the toasted side but I liked to put the marg on the untoasted side.

Trudging through snow, knee length socks held up by pieces of elastic, boots and socks soaking by the time we reached school, mottled red/blue legs and hands, don't think we warmed up again till we were back in bed. Maybe it was the spoon of codliver oil we had to have before our porridge (made with water) and a spoon of black treacle that kept us from catching colds.

I use to put a tea closy on my head to go to bed in the winter, we' would wrap a blanket around the tank in the airing cupboard and take it off just before we got into bed, i often wonder now if the room would have been warmer leaving to airing cupboard door open.

Archived