How we kept warm in the winter!!

old tup

A field off Hatfield House Lane had some lovely clay in it. We used to make winter warmers out of it, they were hollow cubes with air holes in the sides & bottom. The fuel was dry rotted wood, there was great rivalry amongst us lads , who had the best warmer.

we had to wear long johns and pjs with about 4 blankets on the bed... and a wooly hat. looked like we were planning a trip to the ant-arctic.. pop a hot water bottle in bed 30 mins befor we went to dry off the damp and put newspaper around the window frames to keep the howles of winter out, oh and a pot potty slid under the bed for those inconvenient wake ups in the middle of the night..

And that was last night ......Tonight i must make sure i pee pee before going to bed .....

A field off Hatfield House Lane had some lovely clay in it. We used to make winter warmers out of it, they were hollow cubes with air holes in the sides & bottom. The fuel was dry rotted wood, there was great rivalry amongst us lads , who had the best warmer.

I remember making one of those with my Dad. I think he called it a touch burner. I'll ask him.

Poppins-- I laughed at the teacosy, we weren't posh enough to have one but I did take a hotwater bottle to the pictures with me

At least it wasn't the oven plate.

hazel

Hazel we must have been posher than you, we had a hot water bottle as well as a tea cosy, also a nice red tiddle bucket at the top of the stairs so we didin't have to go down to the lav.

I remember making one of those with my Dad. I think he called it a touch burner. I'll ask him.

Just asked him they used to call them touch burners. He said when he was a kid they also used an old can punched with a few holes and a wire handles to burn dead wood. They used to swing them at night for the sparkler effect, often outside the local picture house queue. Not sure how well it went down when they added crabs claws though ....

Although I was born in days of central heating, and all we needed was a duvet and a sheet, I learned to go to bed in my outdoor clothes and a big jumper when I was at uni!!! Old Tup might thrive on stereotypes, but not all university students live as they do at home when away! That was my introduction to draughty houses and just a gas fire in the front room and no other heating anywhere else in the house!!!

wearing shoes with cardboard stuffed inside to cover up the holes and socks turned to the back so the holes didn't show. We were a very holy family.!!! With 5 girls the first up was the best dressed. Off to school with a slice of bread and dripping!!

Archived