Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?

Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?

• Yes - my home and family comes first
    • No - I would always pay the tax

Is it morally right to deliberatly avoid paying all your tax?

One of my friends who is a diversity officer on £45k per annum, believes its the tax avoiders that are bleeding this country dry

That's the same amount you used earlier when you were a Gypsy outreach officer (I know this time it's your friend, but it's a coincidence, no?)

Depends what you mean by tax avoidance love_rat. Certainly discussing tax avoidance can sometimes involve some moral and ethical debate but tax avoidance isn't illegal.

Did you mean evasion? If so evading taxes is illegal.

What taxes did you have in mind?

Even if you were being paid £9000 a year, I don't believe that is enough to survive on, its about £172 a week.

Although this is a problem affecting the poor, with things going up and up the issue of deliberate tax avoidance to survive will affect many more households within the near future.

Even if you were being paid £9000 a year, I don't believe that is enough to survive on, its about £172 a week.

Although this is a problem affecting the poor, with things going up and up the issue of deliberate tax avoidance to survive will affect many more households within the near future.

But what taxes are you thinking of avoiding, and how?

Depends what you mean by tax avoidance love_rat. Certainly discussing tax avoidance can sometimes involve some moral and ethical debate but tax avoidance isn't illegal.

Did you mean evasion? If so evading taxes is illegal.

What taxes did you have in mind?

Do you have a moral duty to your family, or do you have a duty to the state?

In other words, do you do the right thing but face going under, or do you take steps to reduce your tax burden, to keep a roof over your familys head?

There was a programme on Panorama about the haulage industry going to the wall in this country, and many small businesses filling up with illegal diesel (the red stuff) simply to stay afloat.

do you have a moral duty to your family, or do you have a duty to the state?

In other words, do you do the right thing but face going under, or do you take steps to reduce your tax burden, to keep a roof over your familys head?

There was a programme on panorama about the haulage industry going to the wall in this country, and many small businesses filling up with illegal diesel (the red stuff) simply to stay afloat.

what would you do?

Do you have a moral duty to your family, or do you have a duty to the state?

There was a programme on Panorama about the haulage industry going to the wall in this country, and many small businesses filling up with illegal diesel (the red stuff) simply to stay afloat.

I'm just wondering how the avergae family would do it. Like others have said below a certain level you pay no tax anyway. Above that level if you're on PAYE you can't avoid the PAYE. You will also have to pay VAT. And other forms of tax too - car, fuel, TV licence, council tax, etc.... The opportunities for avoiding any of it are limited for a lot of people.

Or are you describing a different scenario for the self-employed where there is a chance to get paid without putting it through the books? Or like you say to fill up with illegal (you said it) fuel? If so in both cases it is evasion not avoidance. But if you ask the question would people to it to keep the family fed and sheltered then many would probably do it if pushed to the limit.

Become self-employed. Then it,s, " Do you need a receipt ? ". "For cash I can do it without VAT". " I claim for everything".

It,s not just the big boys who avoid paying their tax.

If you,re PAYE, you don.t have the choice.

I am glad I not the only one who has noticed this. I know a number of self employed, one of whom abuses the status beyond belief.

Archived