Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?

Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?

• Yes - my home and family comes first
    • No - I would always pay the tax

I am glad I not the only one who has noticed this. I know a number of self employed, one of whom abuses the status beyond belief.

I would do anything to keep my family accustomed to the standard of living they already have and enjoy, that's why I'm self employed .:rolleyes:

I would do anything to keep my family accustomed to the standard of living they already have and enjoy, that's why I'm self employed .:rolleyes:

Do you use and abuse the system or do you pay the tax when due? I am not getting at the hard working, law abiding and tax paying self employed. Just the ones that declare £9K a year, claim the relevant benefits, and then brag about the "cash" jobs being 2/3 of their income. As a PAYE employee, what I earn I pay tax on, all legal and above board, what makes some self employed different?

No it aint dear, accountants make a tidy living out of it. Have a read up about Barclays, Vodafone, Sir Philip Green, etc etc. They are experts at it.

The job centre gives people a voucher to buy clothes for people with job interviews if they do not have suitable clothes.

That voucher must be spent in a store which is a subsidiary of Arcadia group.

Guess who owns that...

And all the clothes are made abroad... (With the workers being paid a pittance)

Good point, the allowance is what £7500 now.

£7500 if you have no kids or ten.

How much does it cot to rent a room in a HMO?

Minimum £3.25k due to housing benefits!

That £7500 tax threshold is minuscule.

The tax system used to make allowances for married men.

If you ask me, a man should be able to earn X before paying tax. X being the equivalent of what is deemed necessary for a single citizen to live.

2X if he is married and his missus is without work. 2X+Y if he is married and has a child, and 2X + nY if he has a wife and n children.

I'm not sure why married women should get a free ride? Maybe if the tax allowance was transferable between partners though, married or not, that would make sense.

nY with an upper limit of 2, choose to have more than 2 children and you're choosing to be able to pay for them as well...

One of the key lib dem aims is to increase the allowance to be more sensible.

Why are people becoming less and less honest about there taxes?

Is this something that prevailed in the past?

It’s probably because each government squanders the tax they receive, maybe living near someone that never works but seems to enjoy a good lifestyle. Or possibly knowing that a prisoner had something you don’t have and eats better food and receives better health care. Or maybe listening to how our MP’s fiddle there expenses.

Why are people becoming less and less honest about there taxes?

Is this something that prevailed in the past?

The tax system has become a mess, increasing in complexity year on year. It isn't clear. It isn't stable. The more rules there are the more nooks and crannies there are to look for loopholes.

On the whole I don't think it's about dishonesty, it's about people/organisations looking for wrinkles and loopholes that legally allow them to pay less tax. We got more complexity so we got more ways of avoiding tax.

I am talking about avoiding tax, simply to survive.

Looking at the Panorama programme, the amount of businesses using illigal fuel, and are doing it simply to survive/keep there businesses afloat.

I think people in general will also have to find ways and means of paying for the most basics in years to come, and yes, avoiding tax is one of those things.

With regards the self employed - are they in the wrong?

Well, if anything goes wrong and there business suddenly ends up in trouble, the self employed end up in real trouble. They tend not to be entitled to things that employed people are, and often when there is no work, they don't get paid. For example, take a school "snow day", if the school shuts and the childs mother is self employed (as a hairdresser for example) the mother cannot make any money if she has to bring the kids home and look after them.

If this happens for a few weeks, as it did last year, the self employed woman is in real trouble

So for the self employed, I can fully understand why they would put money under the matress as you never know when that rainy day will come.

Self employed being dishonest? no, I call it survival

Archived