Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?

Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you deliberatly avoid paying tax, to keep your family housed and fed?

• Yes - my home and family comes first
    • No - I would always pay the tax

With the MP's expenses scandal. The dodgy bankers, the ridiculous wars, the EU sham and the gap between rich and poor rising. Too right I would. In fact I'd do anything to avoid paying it. I don't feel any loyalty or obligation to be honest in relation to that set of liars in the House of Commons.

I'm all for me from now on and testicles to the state...:D

See page number 3

Maybe not dishonesty but certainly it seems tax avoidance is still common, despite HMRC attempts to do something about it

How can HMRC do something about a legal practice?

I had a look at the report, it seems to say that tax avoidance by individuals hasn't diminished, it doesn't say that it's increased though.

And we are talking about individuals here, not corporations.

But the OP actually meant tax evasion didn't they?

I am talking about avoiding tax, simply to survive.

Looking at the Panorama programme, the amount of businesses using illigal fuel, and are doing it simply to survive/keep there businesses afloat.

I think people in general will also have to find ways and means of paying for the most basics in years to come, and yes, avoiding tax is one of those things.

With regards the self employed - are they in the wrong?

Well, if anything goes wrong and there business suddenly ends up in trouble, the self employed end up in real trouble. They tend not to be entitled to things that employed people are, and often when there is no work, they don't get paid. For example, take a school "snow day", if the school shuts and the childs mother is self employed (as a hairdresser for example) the mother cannot make any money if she has to bring the kids home and look after them.

If this happens for a few weeks, as it did last year, the self employed woman is in real trouble

So for the self employed, I can fully understand why they would put money under the matress as you never know when that rainy day will come.

Self employed being dishonest? no, I call it survival

Could you be clear on whether you mean avoiding tax (legal) or evading tax (illegal)?

How can HMRC do something about a legal practice?

I had a look at the report, it seems to say that tax avoidance by individuals hasn't diminished, it doesn't say that it's increased though.

And we are talking about individuals here, not corporations.

But the OP actually meant tax evasion didn't they?

How can they do something? By changing the law to make previously legal loopholes illegal.

Laws aren't cast in stone. Our laws are changing all the time.

I have not paid a penny in tax for 4 years now and don`t intend to for the foreseeable future.Also self employed.

Do you use the NHS? Got kids at school? Expect everybody else to pay for the services you use?

Sincere questions.

Do you use the NHS? Got kids at school? Expect everybody else to pay for the services you use?

Sincere questions.

I use a private dentist but wouldn`t that be NI contributions and not tax.In all honesty the profession i`m in doesn`t require me to pay tax....so i don`t.Not tax avoidance or evasion.

Archived