How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

as I said, I didn't put them in any specific order, I was just listing the things I pay for...

and internet access is classed as a requirement according to the jobcentre, because it's essential for job search and applying for jobs etc...

Which is why you can get free internet access at your local library.

Let's not also forget that as well as jobseeker's allowance of £60, unemployed people get other benefits such as subsidised rent, council tax and fuel bills. So the £60 is only needed to cover food, clothing and transport costs. Put like that, £60 seems if anything excessive considering that at present the unemployed don't do anything to receive it.

Let's not also forget that as well as jobseeker's allowance of £60, unemployed people get other benefits such as subsidised rent, council tax and fuel bills. So the £60 is only needed to cover food, clothing and transport costs. Put like that, £60 seems if anything excessive considering that at present the unemployed don't do anything to receive it.

You make it sound like 60 quid a week spending money ………………….I wish I had 60 quid a week spending money :( …………. Speaking of which, time for work.

Which is why you can get free internet access at your local library.

My housing benefit does not cover my full rent, I have to top it up..

Council tax, fair enough, and hence why I didn't include that in my original list..

Fuel bills.. i'd like to know where I can get some towards that..

Local Library is town center, about an hours walk, or pay for the bus, in which case it's still costing me the same as the internet would (if not more) per week if I did that..

Don’t they provide it at jobs clubs, surely they aren’t saying that all the unemployed should have the internet provided at home.

I haven't attended a JobClub in years, (I was like, 21 the last time) and the last time I did anything even close, I had no access to the internet, they sat me down, asked me to show my job search, helped a bit with my CV, and the whole thing lasted about 15 minutes each session...

I did get a job, (no thanks to / or help from them) but I was laid off in June and have been looking again since...

Local Library is town center, about an hours walk, or pay for the bus, in which case it's still costing me the same as the internet would (if not more) per week if I did that..

Where in Sheffield do you live? I'm sure there must be a local library closer than that. Even if there isn't, what's so bad about an hour's walk into town. You have nothing else to do with your day and if nothing else it'll keep you fit and you can look in shop windows to see if anyone's taking staff on on the way.

Archived