How do you survive on £60 per week. ?

Which is why you can get free internet access at your local library.

Let's not also forget that as well as jobseeker's allowance of £60, unemployed people get other benefits such as subsidised rent, council tax and fuel bills. So the £60 is only needed to cover food, clothing and transport costs. Put like that, £60 seems if anything excessive considering that at present the unemployed don't do anything to receive it.

No comment on Ghozer's situation but I'm somewhat surprised to see rickiethecat endorsing using a public library:hihi:

So what would you do if you were offered nothing, the situation many working people have been in for the last few years?

Edit - is it possible to be both immature and condescending, that's a neat trick to combine them.

Again your question is very immature/stupid considering my answer to the £150 per year one.

Again your question is very immature/stupid considering my answer to the £150 per year one.

The problem isn't that the question is wrong, the problem is that you don't realise that some people are actually in that situation. In fact some is under stating it, many, many employed people have had no pay rises for several years.

yes,simply because I would be expecting and asking for more ,I would consider that offer an insult and treat it as such.

And I don't see how you can have the same response to no offer. It doesn't make sense.

You'd decline not being offered anything, treat it as an insult and ask for more... And when the answer came back, no, then what, tell them they're being condescending and immature (simultaneously again)?

You do know what the two words mean right?

(And yes, I'm being condescending now... but as you'll see in a second, I wasn't before

con·de·scend·ing/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/

Adjective:

Acting in a way that betrays a feeling of patronizing superiority.

See. When I patronise by asking if you actually understand a word you've used I'm being condescending. When I ask if you'd decline a small raise that's just asking a question.

And I don't see how any of this is

Having emotional or intellectual development appropriate to someone younger.

That's immature btw.

The problem isn't that the question is wrong, the problem is that you don't realise that some people are actually in that situation. In fact some is under stating it, many, many employed people have had no pay rises for several years.

For some of us a pay freeze would have been nice, many people have seen their income drop over the past 5 years.:(

When I was on full benefits, I was struggling very much. Here are a few tips:

1) Shop at night in the reduced section.

2) Use a washing up bowl to save water.

3) Shop at Charity shops etc for clothes.

4) Buy value products where possible.

5) Bake your own bread, cakes etc.

6) Turn things off at the plug when you go to bed or leave the house.

7) Keep saving those 2p's and any loose change if possible (it all adds up).

Let me think....

Rent: £0

Council tax:£0

Insurance: £0

Gas, water and electricity: £20

Food: £30

Excess: £10

I didn't get all my rent paid, so had to pay towards it. Money doesn't go very far when they keep putting prices of essentials up but not wages.

have you ever actually tried doing part time paid, and 'odd jobs' while being over 25? having to declare it, now knowing how much money they will take off you as a result of any work you have done, causing yo (on some occasions) to be worse off one week (which has happened)

if I got a full time job, before I could claim working tax (minimum 35hours / week), if I worked less than that but more than 16 hours, I couldn't get working tax, And couldn't sign on either (as the level for signing on is 16 hours)

This is why doing part time, and odd jobs doesn't work for people in my situation, that and the fact that I wouldn't be able to get full (if any) council tax or housing benefit, causing me to be worse off still..

It's a VERY complicated web for people of my age, in my situation and I have to find and live with the best I can... which is still very difficult...

But any ways (and lets see if you know/understand why this prevent's me doing "ANY" job) I was diagnosed as ADHD with Autistic tendencies at a young age, and while you can learn to live with, and manage it to an extent, it can and will always affect you throughout your life, even if you don't realise it.. I NEVER use it as an excuse to get my anywhere, or anything for nothing, I just know it's there and can cause issues (as it has in the past) in certain situations..

It has caused me issues in jobs in the past, I talked to someone about it, and discussed why, and it's these are the job types I can't do because of that...

So you can do shop work but you can't be arsed because you get more money to sit on your arse? Somehow I think the government has failed, and I don't blame you for not working then.

Taking temporary jobs of short duration messes up your megre finances and generally lands you in debt.

Each time you sign off to take a temporary job which might only last a couple of weeks, it takes around 6 weeks of living on fresh air to get benefits reinstated again.

By that time you're usually owing money all round. Then your 60 quid has to cover debts as well.

• 1 month later...

I am working 20 hours a week and to be honest was better off on benefits. I am working to just pay my rent at the moment. It is ridiculous, when you see people sat on benefits, having kids, and being able to do anything, and go out anywhere and buy anything without having to fit it in a budget. My daughter had more presents last year (while I was on benefits) than this year when I am working... go figure! I hate having to scrimp and save, as soon as this Christmas is over, to even attempt to be ready for next year I will have to start buying a small gift a week, or if I see a bargain I will have to grab it.

As benefits are set by inflation, that we have higher than normal inflation means there are higher than normal benefits.

Some interesting responses in the Telegraph -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8834955/Setting-benefits-by-inflation-is-unfair.html

Inflation on essentials (food, fuel, clothes, etc) is higher than the general rate of inflation, therefore benefits can buy less in real terms.

Archived